Animal Health - General Expert Forum
cushings treated but uncontrolled
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

cushings treated but uncontrolled

what else could be going on with with my dog? salka was diagnosed with cushings disease about 2 months ago. back in feb. she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. she is being treated for both. she is on trilostane-i forget the dosage but it is the amount for her weight which is about 48 lbs. she is a pitbull x. she is blind (the problem is not her eyes-i took her to and opth. and she ruled that out. her opinion is that it is a pituitary tumor pressing on the ocular nerves.) salka still paces aimlessly, gets stuck in corners and whines. she has been blind for at least 3-4 months. she also has a hard time settling. sometimes i have to physically lay her down. she is losing weight. the last adrenal check and thyroid check was about a month ago, the adrenal levels were fine. her thyroid levels were a little low but my vet decided to keep her at her current dosage (.6) for the next 3 months. she seems to be getting worse. she doesn't have as many accidents in the house as she did before being treated, but that is the only thing that improved. initially her weight loss was good-but now she is losing too much. she is eating normally, although i have to water her food- i do not see her drinking water often- i believe she may have a hard time finding the water bowl. any opinions on what else i should have tested?
Type of Animal
:  
canine
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
pitbull mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
August 10, 2011
City
:  
augusta
State/Province
:  
ga
Country
:  
united states of america
Blood Test Results
:  
adrenal levels-normal  (being treated for cushings-on trilostane-dosage for 48 lb. dog) 1st check after 1 month on trilostane

thyroid levels low on .6 dosage levoxythyrine?-vet wanted to keep on same dosage for 3 months then recheck
Other pertinent test results
:  
back in july regular blood tests were normal.   aug 3, an opthamologist ruled out SARD, retinal detachment, glaucoma and cataract. she stated it is probably a pituitary tumor pressing on the ocular and other nerves causing blindness and  confusion.