Animal Health - General Expert Forum
cushings treatment
About This Forum:

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

cushings treatment

My dog Dizzy is presenting thankfully mild symptoms of cushings put down initially to general old age less frisky and sleeps a lot more however became concerned as drinking a lot and has a hard "pot belly" I took her to the vet who has taken bloods which lead him to strongly suspect cushings and wants to do an 8 hour day at vets test and he has discussed future tratments used in cushings is vetrol. I have checked with my insurance company and I can only claim up to £500 for the treatment and diagnosis and I am disressed as this will barely cover diagnostic tests let alone any ongoing required drug treatments as it is a life long condition. As dizzy still enjoying good quality life enjoys her walks and has a shiney glossy coat does not present as being in pain has on only one occasion suffered panting while lying down at night and does not appear to be suffering my vet does not see a problem with my delaying any further tests my worry is the future is there anything else I can do other than just wait and see if symptoms worsen am I risking her health even more. There is a school of thought that says if dogs not suffering dont treat? Does anyone have any advice? I am going to change improve her diet and give her supplements/herbs I have seen dog nettle advertised etc also looking online for presciption vetrol  
Type of Animal
:  
Dog
Age of Animal
:  
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
September 30, 2010
Blood Test Results
:  
raised ACTH 600 rather than 250