Animal Health - General Expert Forum
dog still itching after flea medicine

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

dog still itching after flea medicine

Hi there my dog has had fleas all summer and they were so hard to get rid of!  A few days ago I gave him sentinel and last night I gave him capstar and made sure he was in a flea free environment ever since. This.morning I gave him a bath with a sensitive skin lavender dog shampoo and brushed him with a flea comb to collect the dead fleas. The weird thing was I only found 2 and I was expecting way more. After he dried, I brushed him again but only.found one more. He.seems to be.clear of them, all the comb brings up is dandruff/ dry skin. My issue is that he keeps itching and scratching himself like he had before even though there should be nothing there or if there is it should be dead. On his back he has a bite maybe flea maybe.mosquito, and on his belly.he has what looks like a small rash but seems to me to be skin that's been scratched too many times. What can I do? Is there any other explanation to the itching?
thank you
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
11 months
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
border collie/ labrador
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
April 05, 2012
City
:  
lynnwood
State/Province
:  
wa
Country
:  
us
Thanks for contacting me.
I am 100% sure that the sentinel and capstar have done their job and have rid your dog of fleas. Most of them die within the first 12 hours after application and so they essentially fall off. You will get a few hatching over the next 2 months so keep up with the medication and baths. The itchiness is either due to a flea allergy dermatitis (this is where the pet is allergic to flea saliva) and should resolve on its own in the next 2-3 days. The other possibility though is that all the itching has caused a secondary pyoderma (bacterial infection within the skin) and that would explain the rash on his belly. Antibiotics are needed for that so if it does not improve in the next few days, or gets worse, then contact your vet.
good luck.