Animal Health - General Expert Forum
ear infection

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

ear infection

HI I HAVE A  SEVEN MONTH OLD COCKERSPANIEL, I NOTICE MY DOG SPINNING AROUND TO THE LEFT EVERYTIME U CALL HER ARE WHEN SHE RUNNING TO U. I BROUGHT HER TO THE VET AND HE NOTICE SHE HAD A HOLE IN HER RIGHT EAR DRUM. HE DRAINED THE INFECTION OUT OF HER EAR AND PUT MED IN HER EAR, AND MEDS FOR ME TAKE HOME TO GIVE HER BY MOUTH. HE WANTED ME TO BRING HER TO THE VET EVERY WEEK TO GET HER DRAINEDBUT IT COST TOO MUCH  DO U THINK I SHOULD GET SECOND OPINION HE ALSO RECOMMEND FOR ME TO SEE A EAR SURGON
You don't have much choice here.  You have chosen as your pet a breed of dog known for chronic ear problems.

If you don't have the ear drained weekly:

1. The inner ear infection has a better chance of spreading elsewhere such as the brain, sinuses, etc

2. There is also a chance that the ear drum could heal prematurely with the infection inside.  This can be very painful and would require lancing and draining the resulting abscess and would require anesthesia.  The resulting cost would be much greater than just having the ear drained weekly.

The vet wanted you to take your dog to see an ear surgeon because a tube may have to be placed in the ear surgically to expedite proper drainage, if draining once a week is ineffective.

Get Care Credit, a interest-free credit card which can be used for vet bills.  Care Credit is available at most vets or online.
I'm not the vet, but I think you should follow your own vet's advice.  Bad ear infections can take a long time to heal in both animals and humans.  I think it's more than reasonable to have your vet check it weekly and drain the fluid if necessary.  As long as that infection is still present, the inner ear is going to keep filling up.  This is just one of those conditions that you have to be very patient and consistent with treatment to cure.  

Since financing is an issue, at least try to talk to your vet about setting up an affordable payment plan.  There's no way around it - the dog has to be treated.
Hello! I too have a dog with an ear infection! I noticed one morning her poor ears were very red and inflamed! I took her to the vet. My dog had yes an ear infection and they gave her medication for it and swabbed her ears for testing, which came back as an infection! Here is my point, I also found out that ddogs have huge allergies to the food we feed them! Yes, thats right! They wanted my dog to see a dermatologist and that is costly... I decided to do research! I found out that she was indeed allergic to the food i was feeding her though a great product! I switched her food and give her NOTHING else right now to make sure...so far, so good! I give her a totally natural farm raised brand called Natures Recipe, Farm Stand Select! I seriously think you should try this... also, try putting pure aloe vera gel twice a day into the inside flap of ears and a drop or two into the dogs ear opening ... it worked wonders for my dog! let me know