Animal Health - General Expert Forum
inoperable benign smooth muscle tumor

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

inoperable benign smooth muscle tumor

My “shorty” Jack Russell Terrier has a large leiomyoma (11 by 9 cent.) It’s in his gastro-intestinal; attached to his colon they think.  We discovered during a routine x-ray a year ago.  It was much smaller then.  We should have gone ahead with surgery but the Vet said we can wait and think about it –‘but it could grow.”  Well it did and I feel terrible.  They say it's inoperable.  Winston is a happy, energetic lil feller.  Winston loves long walks, horseplay at the dog park and cozy afternoon naps.  His blood panel is normal, and looks like he’s healthy.  He’s got a great appetite. He weighs about 24lbs. The only symptoms of this benign ‘smooth muscle tumor” is that he takes awhile to do “his business.”  He squats two or three or more times, ( doesn’t seem to be straining painfully) he might walk on a little bit –then out it comes – and a way he goes!  I didn’t think that was worth putting him through surgery for that.  He’s close to 14 years old.  But now the Vet says it will soon get worse, since the tumor will be pressing on organs.  And there is nothing we can do.  Please, do any of you know something about this?  Is there any hope?  Obviously, Winston is going to die one day like all of us but I wish he could be with me as long as possible.  What should I expect?  Is There any way to retard it's growth? How about de-bulking? I won’t let him suffer.  But Winston is a tough little guy.  Any advice or help would be appreciated. We have him on a I/D can diet with a stool softener.  
There are Chinese and Western herbal remedies that can shrink tumors if your dog is lucky.  They should be given under a veterinarians care, however.  

I know that they are effective, For example: I currently have a case of a 13 year old dog that came in for a malignant tumor in his stomach.  The herbs have been helping this stomach tumor, but the added side effect of the herbs is that they are also shrinking the fatty tumors of his skin and a benign tumor that he had on his eye lid, with no other side effects.

Once you find a vet versed in holistic medicine he/she will probably want to change Winston's diet to a carb-free diet because all cancer's whether benign or malignant live off carbohydrates.  She/He will also want to add medicinal mushrooms, antioxidants, added vitamin's A and D amongst other nutraceuticals to Winston's diet.

The Chinese herbal formula's vary considerable with the patient but the dog I mentioned above is on herbal formulas available by prescription from: "Dr. Xie's Jing Tang Herbal Company" and include: Max's Formula, Stasis Breaker and Epimedium Powder.  Other anti-cancer products include: Blood Root Extract (Neoplasene), Hoxsey Formula, the spice: Cumin or Turmeric, PolyMVA (available from www.polymva.com) and others.

Thanks much for your advice.  There is a holistic vet near us (in Santa Rosa, CA)  If you know another nearby, please let me know.  Thanks again -- we're going to give it a shot - if we can diminish or stop the tumor from growing Winston might be able to manage with this -- cause he is now --riight?
The Country Vet jn Novato, CA  Dr. Jim Codington is a wholistic vet who is treating my dog who has cancer.  Scecializes in cancer cases.  Found you by looking up the source of one of my meds, Stasis Breaker