Animal Health - General Expert Forum
my dog has a lump

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

my dog has a lump

my dog has a lump located by his rib cage. when you touch it it feel soft. he has had it for about a year.there has been no change in size or shape. this is the only lump that he has.
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
10 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Male
Breed of Animal
:  
beagle
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
February 27, 2007
City
:  
brooklyn
State/Province
:  
ny
Although it is likely benign, we'll never know unless we look.  Please see your veterinarian to do a common relatively pain free anesthesia free fine needle aspirate of the lump to get an idea of what it is and what it do about it.
Within the past week, I've taken off some benign looking lumps on patients that decided not to do a fine needle aspirate and just wanted it off cosmetically.  The lab analysis of them turned out to be cancerous, but removal was 90+% curative!  It was a surprise to me! These lumps had been there for some time without much change.  No lump looked like other lumps, ie seeing it doesn't tell one what it is.
I think these cancerous lumps are more common than we think and any lump should be checked out while it can still be removed while smaller.  One of the lumps from a patient removed last week had grown quickly and we couldn't remove it fully.  It will likley have a poor result.  If the owner had brought it in for evaluation 8 months ago when it was noticed and had stayed the same size for some months, we would likely have had a better outcome.
Remember there are lots of benign as well as malignant things lumps can be.  It's probably not worrisome, but again you'll never know it's evaluated.  It would be best to have it removed and analyzed no matter, as removal is often curative!
Good job for taking the first step and asking questions!
Dr. Jen