Animal Health - General Expert Forum
other causes of megaesophagus and tongue paralysis

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

My dog developed partial tongue paralysis 7 months ago.  He is unable to stick out his tongue and it is curled on one side. No cause was every found.  I saw a neurologist at the time. Megaesophagus developed in the past couple of months.  He is still happy and in great shape otherwise.  I have found a food and a way for him to eat that seems to be working and keeping him from regurgitating. In your opinion is there any other test that can be done to find a possible treatable cause ?

Thank you in advance
I suggest revisiting your dog's situation with a board certified neurologist. Megaesophagus and paralysis of muscles supplied by cranial nerves, such as the tongue, may indicate a more generalized neurologic condition that has progressed. There may be benefit in having an MRI of the brain, but neurology all starts with a thorough neurologic examination. Further, sequential neurologic examinations over time allow observation of progression of disease, if any. The results are compared to the known course of all applicable diseases and from that "differential diagnosis" list, the real and final diagnosis is determined.