Animal Health - General Expert Forum
sick?

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

sick?
My Rabbit passed away about a week ago. And it was out of no where, he didnt seem ill and he was acting or eating differntly. I noticed when i went to clean his cage that the whole bottom of him was wet like he has gone to the bathroom and sat on it, so i rememberd we had bought some Rabiit shampoo and i gave him a warm bath in my bathroom sick. I then dryed him and put him back in his cage he seemed tired but fine. About Two hours later i heard this cat like nose coming from his cage and i noticed he was opening and closing his mouth, about 5 minutes later he passed away..Do you know what could have been wronge with him?
I am so sorry about the loss of your pet!

Unfortunately, only a post-mortem exam could give you a definitive diagnosis as to the cause of death, but I will try to speculate.  

I assume your rabbit was male?

Your rabbits wet bottom may be a clue to a cause of death.  Rabbits can get urinary tract infections and urinary stones.  Rabbits urinate large amounts of calcium.  A rabbits body can form stones from the calcium that is held in the bladder prior to urination.  If the stones become large enough they can block the urethra, similar to the kind of blockage that occurs in male cats.  This kind of blockage can cause death within 24 hours if not relieved.

Another possibility is gastrointestinal obstruction by a hairball.  Hairballs in rabbits can also be deadly due to stasis of the digestive tract.  Usually the rabbit affected by an obstruction will show more symptoms then you describe.

The symptoms or urethra blockage are vague, but urinating inappropriately can be a symptom.  
That seems too quick for aspiration pneumonia. Have you used that shampoo before? (I'm wondering if it was an allergic reaction)  Then again, the wet bottom may have been a signal the bunny was already feeling sick and the bath was too much stress. You said the bunny seemed tired. Just thinking out loud. . . .
yea i used that shampoo with him about 5 times before this he did fine all the other times. I had never seen him with a wet bottom before though, the whole thing was just so weird.