Animal Health - General Expert Forum
why did our dog die suddenly

This forum is for general pet health questions, such as questions about medications, parasites, vaccines, infectious diseases, breed specific and genetic problems.

why did our dog die suddenly

Why did our dog die suddenly?  She became ill on a Saturday, she didnt eat much, didnt came out of her dog house, and we noticed that her belly was bloated.  We gave her some otc de-wormer to see if that would've helped but no luck.  By Tuesday when i came home from work i found her dead..we were saddend by this..she was only 4 yrs old.
Tags: bloated, belly
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
4 yrs
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
chiuaua mix
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
March 20, 2007
I am very sorry about the loss of your dog!

Reba did make a good comment but I have to correct her.  The disease is not "GVD Gastrovolousdilation"  It is actually called GDV (Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus).  

GVD can cause death because when the stomach twists it occludes blood vessels and bowel loops causing widespread circulatory collapse.  Lack of oxygen to any organ can cause destruction to that organ.  This lack of oxygen results in destruction of the stomach wall first and subsequent release of intestinal toxins, which cause further damage.   Ultimately as circulatory collapse progresses heart failure results.   This disease is more common in large or giant breed dogs, but can still occurs uncommonly in small breeds.

The other possibility is Pyometra (if your dog was not spayed).  Pyometra occurs in unspayed female dogs.  In a closed pyometra the stomach can be very bloated since the uterus is filled with pus.  Pyometra can cause death from sepsis (blood infection) and from SIRS which stands for systemic inflammatory response syndrome which can result in multiple organ failure and death.

Both of the above listed disease are medical emergencies, can be easily diagnosed by abdominal X-Ray and usually have good outcomes if treated surgically in time.
I am a vet. technician and from the sounds of it your dog had GVD Gastrovolousdilation where the stomach twist on itself and causes"Bloat" This is a serious condition that without seeing a vet and having surgery will cause death.  Taking the pet to your vet for surgery or emergency vet could have helped.  Thiis rare in smaller dogs but does happen.  Sorry for you loss. I hoped this helped.  You also could have taken your dog to a vet for a neocropsy to be sure....