Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Community
Brain AVM and Warfarin

WELCOME TO THE ARTERIOVENOUS MALFORMATION (AVM) COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Arteriovenous Malformations, which are defects of the circulatory system that are generally believed to arise during embryonic or fetal development or soon after birth. They are comprised of snarled tangles of arteries and veins.

Brain AVM and Warfarin

I am new to this community.  I have an interest due to my mum being diagnosed with a large brain AVM.  She had a pulmonary embolism last week (no known cause) and is currently receiving warfarin and heparin injections.  I am concerned that these drugs may not be suitable for an AVM person.  She hasn't yet seen a consultant to determine treatment options for the AVM.  I also wonder whether the PE could be connected to the AVM.  Does anyone have a similar experience or some advice about whether there are alternatives or I am worrying about nothing?

Hi!
Yes, ideally patients with AVM should avoid blood thinners. However the pulmonary embolism too needs to be treated.  Use of blood thinners can cause AVMs to bleed, especially larger and symptomatic ones. So, if your mother’s AVM is small in size and is not causing much problems and was an incidental finding during an MRI done for some other reason, then the risk of it bleeding is less. However, high blood pressure and strenuous activities should be avoided at all cost. The INR and prothrombin time should be monitored strictly to reduce chances of bleed and stroke. Please discuss this in detail with a neurologist and the cardiologist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

Hi!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  I have spoken to my mum's GP about my concerns and he is raising it with the hospital consultant that has been treating her embolism.  He had forgotten that my mum had an a.v.m so was glad I had called.