Arthritis / Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Safe Pain Control for Anticoag Patients

This forum is for questions and support regarding arthritis issues such as: Arthritis, Autoimmune Disease, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia, Gout, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Neuralgia, Osteoarthritis, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Tendinitis, Vasculitis.

Safe Pain Control for Anticoag Patients
I had a MVR in 2002, and have a titanium valve, thus permanent coumadin usage is mandatory. I have recently developed chronic pain in my Wrist/Thumb, and cannot take NSAIDS due to the coumadin. Can anyone make any recomendations so that I do not have to be sentenced to a life of pain as a result of my anticoag situation?
Dear Larry,
Well since NSAID's are contraindicated as per your post, you can go with "Tramadol".It is a centrally acting pain killer and is not an NSAID. But chances are, you may feel dizziness/nausea/vomiting after eating this medicine (< 5% of the cases these side effects are seen).Standard dosage is 50 mg twice or thrice a day.
Regards..
Please feel free to discuss more, if your doubt is still unclear.
Is Tramadol addictive? There seems to be differing points of view on this. I know it is effective against pain, does it have any anti-inflamatory properties?
What are your views on natural/herbal tx, such as Turmeric, Arnica, Bromelain etc...