Asperger's Syndrome Community
How to tell your child he has Asperger's?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How to tell your child he has Asperger's?

My 12 year old son has Asperger's.  (He was diagnosed when he was 4)  He started middle school (6th grade) this year and from experiences with my daughter who is a typical needs kid, I know big changes for kids usually hit in 7th grade so I still have some time but want to start planning out how I am going to tell him about his condition.  

He may already know that he's different although he has never said or asked anything in this regard.  He is a sweet, gentle and sensitive boy and I'm just not sure where to start or how to explain to him about him being on the spectrum.  I'm so afraid he's going to think there is something wrong with him because sometimes his self esteem runs a little low and I definitely want to avoid making him feel that way.  I plan to stress to him that there is nothing WRONG with him.  I don't want to get emotional (but it's hard not to) because he will then get emotional and that will just make his anxiety level go up which I also don't want.

If anyone can share any experiences, I'd appreciate it.  I just need a starting point.  Most times, if I approach him and say "we need to talk," he automatically thinks it's bad, and it's hardly EVER bad because he's such a good boy, he very rarely gets in trouble, so I'm not sure why he always thinks that.

I've seen some names of books out there that he can read himself too once I talk to him.  Any recommendations for that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Blank
1548028_tn?1324616046
My son does not have Aspergers but he had a brain injury about a year ago and the Dr. that saved his life has Aspergers!  We love him!  He knows he has it and he is brilliant.  Now, talking with us as parents is a little difficult to follow but my son is 12 and gets along with him perfectly!  He is so good with kids and he really gets them.  I have heard from other people that went to high school with him that he was always a little different.  Thank gosh!  He became a neurologist.  You never know...  My son is not the same as before.  I love the new Jordan too!  Who wants a cookie cutter kid anyway!LOL  Our kids can do amazing things!  We have been open and honest with Jordan to a degree about what is to come and gotten him involved with things he can do.  I tell him we do not see this as any different than any other person.  There are so many things that effect people and they go on to be happy and do great things.  Best of luck to you!