Asperger's Syndrome Community
asbergers bowel training

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

asbergers bowel training

My 6 1/2 year old grandson with Asbergers moves his bowels in his pants. He is extremely intelligent, reading on a 3rd grade level and amazing in math.  He doesn't want to discuss this bowel issue and even when his underpants are full, he gets upset when mention is made of the need to get cleaned up.  As far as I know, he doesn't have bowel movements at school. He sometimes uses the toilet at home to urinate.
Not sure this is all Asbergers. My grandson is 4 years old, has been potty trained for urinating since he was 3. We are having the same problem, constipation, holding in bowel, etc. GI Dr. says this is behavorial, especially in males. Just something they have to work through. Have them sit on the toilet 10 minutes 3 times a day. Offer treats, etc when they do go. We are just starting to have some success with our grandson. We told him if he went 2 times a day for a week without any accidents & without any fussing about going, we would get him a new pair of shoes. He did & we got him the shoes. It has been several days since we got the shoes & he is still going but, he asks about his treat everytime he goes. When he goes 2 times a day he gets a small treat (cookie, M & M's etc.) at the end of the night before bed. If he goes for a whole week 2 times a day he gets a small toy & if he goes for a whole month, he knows he will get a video game he has been wanting. Try this with your grandson. It might work. It has taken us a year to get to this point so don't expect miracles all att once.
The problem may be something odd. I used to have a problem of doing that in the bath tub. I didnt really wanna talk about it to anyone, because..well, I didnt know how everyone else could put up with it.

It would be decades before I finally mentioned to someone, that every part of my digestive process is extremely painful, and that so is every other physical sensation. I would intentionally constipate myself for a very long time in order to avoid this pain. But in my case, I did indeed know it was wrong and that I shouldnt be doing it.

So yeah, simply put: There may be a problem, but the rather blunt nature of this one symptom may be masking the rest. I cant say for certian, obviously. But its something to keep in mind.