Asperger's Syndrome Community
confusion over aspergers diagnosis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

confusion over aspergers diagnosis

My 13 year old son was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and adhd aged 6 years. He has been taking medication for his adhd since then. He has low muscle tone and needs a scribe in class as his handwriting is practically illegible. he is a very intelligent boy who  developes a interest in something  and his free time is spent solely on that and nothing else, i would say he is obssesive about it. after a period he will find another interest and the previous one is completely disregarded sometimes to the point that after a short space of time he cannot even remeber all of the facts and statistics about the previous interest. He does not like change likes to stick to his routines but as he has got older he is a bit more accepting if his routine has to change and i feel this is because we discuss why things have to change. He is a very good mimic and the tone of his speech and the language he uses in conversation and certainly different to that of his peers. He is quite insecure and can at times be a little depressed and have low self esteem. Physically he is very thin with long limbs, he has quite a small round head and BIG eyes, (a beautiful boy in my opinion) his gait is a bit exagerrated and his manual dexterity is very clumsy. He is not good a physical activites. My query is that we have been seen by a new consultant over the last year, he has met with us three times and on the third occasion he has informed us that in his opinion my son does not have aspergers syndrome that he is just a highly intelligent boy who is slightly eccentric. While i would be very happy if my son did not have a condition i feel that all of his life he has been different, i have two other children who are nothing like him, and all of my family and close friends agree with me and are baffled by this new development. As this man is a specialist in this field i do not know where to turn for an explanation. can anyone offer me any help or advice.  
Hi he could be right i have been reading a book by Tony Attwood about aspergers syndrome and it says aspergers have ok fine motor skills so what you could be describing is dyspraxia as these children also have a tendency to be lacking in social skills and they tend to be clumsy and looking awkward when walking, with dyspraxia there could be a cross over like with all the other syndromes, with adhd, dyslexia etc. But look at dyspraxia and mention it to the specialist. Sharon x
Thank you for your comments shaz71.  I actually have a friend of a friend whose son has dyspraxia and will certainly look into it. thanks again.
Was your son tested for Autism? The testing is pretty through.  I would bet that if he went through this testing and got the diagnosis as Asperger's than he probably has Asperger's.
You also said this "specialist" (not sure what he is...Psychologist, Psychiatrist??) only met with you 3 times...not really enough to be telling you that he would change your son's diagnosis.  What kind of testing did he do to come up with this idea???
Something to think about.
I have run into many people in my daughter's life who have told us they didn't think she had Asperger's....they say, "she looks just fine"...."she talks just fine"....etc. The truth is, they really don't know her enough. Anyway, she's been through the testing and she HAS ASPERGER'S! ...  :)
She is now 21 years old....and I love her just the way she is.
Take care.
Hi! What you say about your son, sounds like Asperger's to me. At the end of the day, it can always only be a label for other people to understand your child better. You will know him anyway and it seems to be clear to me that he is different and needs support! "So what is the difference" I am asking of this new doctor! Your son needs help and the doctor is there to specify what help, regardless off what label he gives it. Good luck!!
Hi, I would say that it definately sounds similar to my son who was diagnosed with aspergers recently. i do not think that a doctor seeing him 3 times would be able to know him well enough to say yes or no. If you have been through the process of your son being diagnosed then I would say that is pretty conclusive, as that is not done lightly. Our son was 18 months old when i began to persue his eccentric behaviours and he is nearly 5 now and was only diagnosed 3 months ago but it was a lengthy procedure with him seeing the same people over and over again before he went for his multidiciplinary. I do not think that children get labelled with aspergers easily. If you are really worried are you able to see any of the doctors who were involved in yours sons diagnosis when he was 6 ? maybe they may be able to help. Good Luck xxx