Asperger's Syndrome Community
councellour think i may have asperges syndrome

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

my name is michelle scott and im 32 years old with a son  and a partner what i wanting to know is that ive got a mild case of dyslexia but today i went to the councilour she said its possible that ive got asperges syndrome but not sure  this is how it feels for not being understood by a lot people since i was little always comunicating with animals and not people when it comes to people not heard.  unable to understand certain advice finding it hard to take certain peoples advice and really bad with maths.
If you want to see the diagnostic criteria you can google DSM IV Aspergers to read what the professionals are looking for (behaviour wise), when they assess someone for Aspergers.
How do you feel about getting a diagnosis?  You can be assessed by professionals who would be able to tell you whether you do have Aspergers or not.
You can also read books about Aspergers to help you see where your strengths and weaknesses are.
As you have dyslexia you will understand about word blindness etc and how the written word is just not straightforward or easy for you.  Aspergers is a kind of social dyslexia.  
Google Semantic Pragmatic Speech Disorder and see if that is how language is to you.  
Would it help you to know that your difficulties are not down to this disorder?  
Would it help you get access to any benefits or supports?
You say you are married with a child.  There are support groups for adults as well.  You might find going to one of those meetings useful because you will meet other people in the same situation as yourself.
Do you also have meltdowns eg. get very upset about things when they don't happen as expected.
Do you have any obsessions?
Do you have any sensory issues?
What does your husband think about it?
your definantly not alone, i am in a similair situation, i cannot help with the diagnoses but i can suggest ways to handle unwanted behavior or getting past learning difficulties
xo
It may or may not be - it is a hard diagnosis to make but not unusual to find out in adulthood.  The funny thing about Asperger's is they have just the same rates of reading and math problems as the rest of the population.  There IQ range, by definition, is average or above and mirrors the general population.  So do their rates of learning disabilities.

What people with Asperger's all do have (along with people with some other conditions like ADHD) is executive dysfuntion.  Executive dysfunction is the ability to organize and prioritize things.  Usually in Asperger's,  it shows up in their writing style which tends to veer off subject.  This can show up in maths too after you get out of the simple calculating stage and need to go to higher order and multi step problems.  But then, some people with Asperger's have been cutting edge mathematicians.  After all, who else would work on the same problem for 10 years (at least that is what my  husband said when he gave up his Texas Instrument calculator for law school).    

I think of it as more of an obsessive personality that sees the world in black and white.  I think their focused interests give people with Asperger's something to reorganize around.  At least I see that trait with my son.  When he goes into his obsessions (he reads constantly) and lays with Bionicles (they know their place and he knows his).  The real world is a bit more uncertain to him.
michelle here yeah i was addicted to my xbox but i eventually got bored of it now they taken it off me all togeather i was talking on internet to a friend most evenings he could feel my pain and  hurt and i drawed on it. i still talk to him now cause connection to strong and my mil thinks ive got it cause i wont let this guy go. yes im over sensitive most of the time and i get upset very easily ive never confronted my probs since i was a kid i was run away like a whale rider