Asperger's Syndrome Community
need a diagnosis - please help
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Asperger Syndrome issues such as: Balance, Behavioral Issues, Causes, Characteristics, Classification, Clumsiness, Communication, Diagnosis, Gait – Walking, Genetics, Medications. Parenting, Prognosis, Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior, School Issues, Screening Sleep Disorders, Social interaction, Speech and language, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

need a diagnosis - please help

My son is 12.  He has been diagnosed with ADD, Dyslexia & Auditory processing disorder but I think he may have mild (undiagnosed) asperger's or something else.  He is extremely behind in reading, has poor penmanship, can not retain information, has trouble focusing and is very clumsey and ackward.  He hates being alone, apears to look to others for ques how to act at all times, has very poor social skills, takes things very literal, and has clear speech but it is still hard to understand what he is trying to say because of the content of his sentences.

He also gets concusions from simple falls that would not affect other people the way they do him.

I have been trying to get him help since he was very young (2) but still do not feel he has been properly diagnosed.  I would really appreciate any hep I can get.

Thanks, Ann
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
365714_tn?1292202708
We can't give your son a dx, but we can offer our suggestions to see someone who can.
Blank
367831_tn?1284262544
Did you get an m-team eval?  You can detail your concrens in writing to his school director of special ed an ask for a re-eval.  They should do it every 3 years,  I'm surprized a lot of this stuff you mentioned missed the m--team for so many years.
Blank
What is m-team?  I have no idea what this even is?  Is it like an IEP?

Blank
367831_tn?1284262544
I lifted this from my journal entry:

=============================

I've seen a lot of posts like this:  My _ year old child seems to exhibit __ symptoms.    I did some research about autism.  I asked my childs teacher about __ behaviors and thought s/he may have autism.

======================================================

You can ask for an m-team evaluation in writing at any time.  This starts the process going for an assessment for special ed services.  

If you suspect something,  talk to his teacher.  If the teacher is unresponsive, go up the ladder.  Talk to the principal, school psychologist, school speech therepist or OT, or PT.   You can ask if your child to be evaluated for special needs.

If you get no response from the school, put a request in writing and be detailed, yet concise about some of the symptoms you observe.  Request for an multi-disciplinary team (m-team) evaluation for your child.  Address this request to as many administrators as you can.   Start with the school Principal.  Also write the same letter to the director of Special education services (the title may vary in your district) cc to the district superintendent.   After the district receives this letter,  PUT THEM ON NOTICE!    They have 90 days to deliver the pizza!  The clock is ticking!

You should recive a notification of the evaluation process.  The law requires: written notice be given to all parents and guardians. and  parents  must give written permission for the team to evaluate their child. It should list who's who on the team.   Look at the credentials of the team members.  These should all be there, if not ask to see them!   The team MUST include persons with expertise in the areas of your child's suspected disAbility.   If not, ask for someone who has.  Even if it costs the district extra to outsource these persons, insist on it.  It's the law.  Example:  If your child has speech delays, and  U see the school nurse listed as the SLP evaluator ask for a profesional speech therepist.

Once the evaluation process is complete,  ask for the reports of their findings IN ADVANCE of the m-team meeting.  You will then be invited to a meeting to discuss these findings.  Big piece of advice here:   BRING SOMEONE.   Bring a friend or a signifigant other.  This can be a very emotional meeting.  You need someone to take notes and track with the rest of the meeting when you may not have the emotional strength to do.  

======================================================

If you disagree  with the findings or just have a feeling the m-team are off-base,  notify the team in writing that you want to get an independent evaluation.  They MUST do this at no expense to you.  We did this and went to the state university clinic that specializes in developmental disAbilities.  I'm glad we did this.  We did agree with the evaluation, however, we wanted more detailed reports.  The university clinic was able to provide more expertise and more detail than the school district can ever provide with their limited resources.  They provided info on her learning styles and modalities, and her way of thinking and processing sensory input.  Lotsa good stuff.

You have a right to ALL records and test results etc.  ASK FOR THEM.  Start a folder with these records.  Watch this folder get fattter and fatter with time.  Trust me, you will need these records later.  20 years later an we still pull out and show some of her records for various social service agencies.

One last thing, NOTHING, NOTHING should be done in your child's placement, planning, or evaluation without parents written consent.  If you don't feel right about something, don't feel pressured to give consent.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asperger's Syndrome Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank