Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Chronic Sinusitus

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Chronic Sinusitus

Hello and thanks for this informative service! I have had 4 or 5 sinus infections in the past year and treated with antibiotics and steroids. I had allergy tests (RAST) around 15 years ago and had so many allergies they jokingly said they were going to make me their poster child! I went this week to a university hospital allergy program and was tested for allergies with skin pricks and shots. Thankfully and surprisingly, they resulted with the diagnosis of Non-allergic Rhinitis showing that I am not allergic to anything! They said I must have outgrown them. They also did a sinus CT Scan and it shows I have a pocket of infection in one of the sinuses beside the bridge of my nose and that the inside of my nose (both sides) is so swollen that the openings to my sinuses are almost completely closed. They have prescribed Ceftin, Prednisone, Nasonex, Patanase, and Pataday (along with Zyrtec for the skin itching caused by Lupus). I am wondering if it is possible that the Lupus could be the cause for the nasal swelling that seemingly is stopping up my sinuses? Any thoughts and information or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
It is doubtful that your nasal & sinus problems have anything to do with the Lupus. The non-allergic rhinitis is almost certainly the cause of your nasal swelling and that swelling, in turn, a cause of impaired sinus drainage and the resultant infection.   The goals of treatment should be to reduce the swelling, facilitate sinus drainage and control the sinus infection with antibiotic therapy, all of this currently being done.  Depending on the response of the sinus infection to this therapy you may or may not need surgery to excise the (pocket of) infection and re-establish adequate sinus drainage.  And, if attempts to reduce the nasal swelling are unsuccessful, it might be necessary to biopsy the swelling.  

Sounds like you are receiving good care and should continue to follow the recommendations of your caregivers.

Good luck