Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Hayfever
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hayfever

Im 10 weeks 6 days pregnant and suffer allergies. I've taken mediation most my life for it, just over the counter pills. Now I've heard i shouldn't be taking anything like that so i stopped my my hayfever and allergies and draining me and driving me crazy! Can i still take them or what do i do?
242587_tn?1355427710
Antihistamines are generally considered safe during pregnancy, thus absolute safety cannot be assumed.   Although there are no definitive studies an increased risk of congenital malformations or adverse events in the newborn has generally not been observed following maternal use of this class of drugs during pregnancy.  My best advice is that you consult with your primary care physician or your obstetrician before you take these or any other drugs.

Good luck
2 Comments
Blank
I'm 10 weeks and 2 days. I have horrible allergies as well as asthma.  I've taken allegria for a long time, and my doctor didn't have a problem with me staying on it. Talk to your doctor and see what they recommend.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker