Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Hives and diarreah(diarrhea)
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hives and diarreah(diarrhea)

my husband broke out with hives about 1 hour after eating fish and soon after breaking out with hives he started having diarreah (diarrhea) .I purchased benadryl. he has taken a cold shower and is resting.what else can we do and what else do we need to look for.
Related Discussions
  • I hate fish (1 replies):
    Yesterday I encountered some bass fish at my friends hou...[more]
  • Fish alergy (1 replies):
    I am allergic to fish. It has not been confirmed by test...[more]
242588_tn?1224275300
Your use of Benadryl® (diphenhydramine) was appropriate in this circumstance.  Such allergic responses to food vary from mild to very severe to life threatening, caused by airway closure and/or circulatory collapse.  In such instances where a person starts to have difficulty breathing, even a little difficulty, or feels faint, the proper response would be to call 911 immediately and be prepared to administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).

By the time you get this message, the issue will have been resolved, but given the seriousness of allergic reactions to fish and shellfish, your husband should arrange for consultation with an allergist specializing in food allergies, so as to determine what foods must be avoided, whether attempts at desensitization with the use of shots or the use of orally administered allergens, might be appropriate and whether he should carry an EpiPen® (epinephrine) Auto-Injector, to be given immediately, should he experience a more severe reaction to food in the future.

Until the issue of long-term prevention is resolved, he should avoid all fish, sushi and shellfish.

Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank