Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Mysterious rash or bug bites??

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Mysterious rash or bug bites??

My name is Cindy i am a 22 year old health woman, up until about a month now i have been getting these bites on my skin. I say bites because they look like mosquito  bites all over my body. I have them all over my left arm, shoulders, back a few on my left leg, my right leg is covered, I get them on my fingers too. I have one on my face. Every day i get more and more i wake up with them i get them at work where ever i am. I thought they were bed bugs i had my house fumigated . I tired everything. The bites get swollen and they itch so badly. I went to the doctor on March 23 and he gave me Cephalexin 500mg four capsules a day for 7 days my last dose was yesterday. I also went to the hospital and they took blood work which looked fine. They couldn't tell me what it was but they gave me Prednisone 10mg. I am going to a allergy specialist on Thursday to see what they can tell me. Do you have any advice?? The bites look awful i look like a monster and i'm kinda down about all this and the fact that the medicines i'm taking are so much and they don't work. Please help.

Thank you
At age 22 and accustomed to good health, this skin disorder must be very rough on you.  But the odds are in your favor that what you have is treatable.  What you have experienced sounds like bites and could well be caused by “bed bugs”, one of a group that includes a number of other tiny insects such as cone-nose bugs and wheel bugs.  These can usually be eradicated with one treatment of a topical medicine.  That may still be the correct diagnosis, despite the fumigation.

My advice is that you see a dermatologist for that will offer the best chance of an accurate diagnosis and specific therapy.
Thank you soooo much for answering my question. The odd thing is that i live with my boyfriend we slept in the same bed and hes fine. I have been to a allergy specialist and she was puzzled she told me the Prednisone should have helped but it didn't. I was sent to a dermatologist who also was puzzled. He ended up doing a skin biopsy, I also had more blood work done. My white count is normal and so is my thyroid. I am still waiting for the skin biopsy results and Autoimmune results. In the mean time i get more bites everyday. They discolor my skin, i have a few more on my face my legs arms. The doctors haven't told me anything really. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have to take benadryl every night just to sleep other wise the itchiness will kept me up all night. Thank you for the advice i will look into it. I also have a dog i had him for 2 years, can he be causing any of this???