Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Red Cheeks
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Red Cheeks

Since my recent exposure to mold at work, my cheeks periodically turn bright red.  I am mold sensitive and asthmatic, however, my asthma seems to be totally under control.  I also have been tested negatively for any type of rheumatoid problem and do not have rosecea.  Are the red cheeks an allergic reaction or could I have developed a sinus infection from all the irritants in the air at work?  I took a leave from work one week ago but the redness is continuing.  
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
Cheeks that periodically “turn bright red” suggests the description of blushing, most often associated with some degree of social phobia.  If an allergic reaction to mold, facial erythema would most often require direct contact with the mold, usually from one’s hands, in effect, a contact dermatitis.  In that regard, what you have experienced may have nothing to do with your work site but rather to do with a cosmetic application (topical) or a drug reaction (systemic).

However, such rashes can also be seen with bacterial and viral infections but the periodicity of it would weigh against an infectious cause.  Should the redness persist and especially if accompanied by pain or the development of pustules, an infectious cause would be much more likely.

You might want to keep a diary regarding environmental exposures, drug ingestion, social situations and food/liquid ingestion to see if there appears to be any correlation with the bright redness, even with a delayed response.

Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank