Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Severe chronic cough
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe chronic cough

I developed an acute, but chronic cough 2 days after going on Altace  bid. I was told this was not the cause. I have debilitating coughing fits 5-15 times a day, can't get any sleep because of coughing. The cough produces mucous, sometimes a LOT, sometimes mucouse bubbles up into my throat , I have copious sinus drainage at times, other times none.Twice a coures on Prednisone stopped all of the symptoms, but they returned when it was stopped. I have had 2 chest x-rays, a sinus x-ray, a ct scan of the sinus, been seen 5 times by an ENT, had blood work(cbc) a soutum colture....all normal.
I've never had even a slight allergy in my life, never smoked . or been a heavy drinker. I have no other allergy symptoms except when I have a coughing spell of course my eyes water and my nose runs. I don't feel like i have chest congestion, no trouble breathing or shortness of breath, but when i cough it is usually productive. I never feel like I have geartburn, and I don't have an acid burning in my throat or a bad taste or anything that would suggest to me acid reflux. I did do 7 weeks of Prilosec, it didn't make any difference in the cough, nor do any allergy medicines or cough suppressants . I'm even coughing through Lortabs now.When I started the first course of steroids, I think the day after I started, i got the most awful burning across the very uppermast part of my chest. right under my collarbones. It felt like it was om fire. This lasted initially about 1 1/2 days, then was intermittant for maybe a day or two. That hasn't occured sonce. My next step is a gastroenterologist....any other suggestions???