Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Soar throat like symptoms when near a dog

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Exposure to cats has always caused a soar throat, progressing to throat closure, then inability to speak, then breathe.  I spent 4 hours at a home, where I am considering renting a room, They have 2 indoor dogs.  I began to feel a mild soar throat after a couple hours, but it never progressed further.  The soar throat took 24 hours to go away. I have never reacted to dogs in my 56 years.  They informed me the dogs do not enter the part of the house I would occupy.

Do I take a chance and rent the room, dealing with a mild soar throat, or would it possibly progress to the stronger reactions I have to cats?  Would keeping the room clean (hardwood floors) + an air filter help?  Should I close off the heater register to avoid air from the remainder of the house? This is the nicest place I've seen for the money.
Do not take a chance and rent the room, especially if moving out would be a hassle if your throat symptoms worsened.  If cats had ever been in the room, dander might still be there.  Keeping the room clean and hardwood floors would help.  An air filter would probably not help.  If you prove to be allergic to dogs, your symptoms might worsen and you might have to close off the heater register.  You should ask the owners if you could spend a whole night in the room.  That might resolve the issue for you.