Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
Soar throat like symptoms when near a dog
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Soar throat like symptoms when near a dog

Exposure to cats has always caused a soar throat, progressing to throat closure, then inability to speak, then breathe.  I spent 4 hours at a home, where I am considering renting a room, They have 2 indoor dogs.  I began to feel a mild soar throat after a couple hours, but it never progressed further.  The soar throat took 24 hours to go away. I have never reacted to dogs in my 56 years.  They informed me the dogs do not enter the part of the house I would occupy.

Do I take a chance and rent the room, dealing with a mild soar throat, or would it possibly progress to the stronger reactions I have to cats?  Would keeping the room clean (hardwood floors) + an air filter help?  Should I close off the heater register to avoid air from the remainder of the house? This is the nicest place I've seen for the money.