Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
anaphylaxis associated with waking up at night

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Im a 26 yr old male and I have had periodical events of being woke up in the middle of the night because of itching, wheezing, and stomach pain.  I usually take some benadryl and the symptoms subside within a hour or so.  But a few times it has gotten so bad that I have gone to the ER.  I have been skin tested for food allergies which have been negative and have kept a food log of what I have ate within 24 hours of an episode which I do not see a pattern.  What could cause these sporadic allergic episodes?  
What you describe:  “Itching, wheezing and stomach pain”, is not anaphylaxis.  That term refers to a much more violent, systemic body reaction.

Nevertheless, what you have experienced certainly sounds like an allergic reaction and it must be very distressing.  I suggest that the problem may well not be food allergy and that you and your doctors look beyond food to consider the possibility that you are having an allergic reaction to something in your workplace or in your bedroom and systematically look to what that allergen might be..

Good luck
Do you sleep on a down blanket or pillow?