Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
cigarette smell on clothes
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

cigarette smell on clothes

My husband is a smoker.  I am very allergic to cigarette smoke.  He does not smoke in the house.  However his clothes and hair smell strongly of smoke.  I was wondering what effects does him coming in the house smelling like cigarettes have on my allergies?  Could that cause health problems for me?
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
Your body’s response to the residue of your husband’s cigarette smoke may be allergic, or irritant or a combination of the two.  But that is not the important issue here.  You describe yourself as “very allergic to cigarette smoke”, so the important issue is that your exposure to these toxic substances has an adverse effect on your health and well being, whatever one chooses to call it.  The answer is, then, absolutely these exposures could cause or certainly aggravate your health problems.  His subjecting you to this is inconsiderate, at best, and at its worst, making you sick.  He doesn’t smoke in the house; does he smoke in the car?

The best solution, for both of you, would be for him to make a concerted effort to stop smoking.  The next best would be for him to wear a smoking jacket and a “smoking hat” and smoke in the wide-open outdoors; not in the garage, not on the patio but out in the open where the smoke can be quickly dissipated.  Then, before entering the house, remove the jacket and hat and leave them outdoors as well.

If your husband comes to bed at night, reeking of smoke, you might want to sleep elsewhere, in a smoke-free room.

What you describe is not simply an aesthetic problem.  It is a health problem that will shorten his life and could, potentially, shorten yours.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker