Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
lung scar

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

lung scar

My doctor just called and informed me that my breasts MRI is good, but found a lung scar?
He is scheduling a cat scan.  He tells me it may be nothing and to go on a scheduled 10 day vacation and I can do the scan after I return.  I know I will be too worried to enjoy the trip and am
thinking of cancelling.  

What does this scarring mean and should I have the test as soon as possible.
The description of this finding as a lung scar suggests that its appearance is benign, probably the residual of an infection, possibly years ago.  That would account for your doctor's suggestion that "it may be nothing" and the suggestion that you go on vacation.  Medically there is no problem waiting until after your vacation, but if you are sure that your anxiety will ruin the vacation, you should re-schedule.  Perhaps your doctor can make a special effort to schedule the CT scan so that you will have an answer before your departure.  It sounds like your doctor is not overly concerned, in the belief that this "scar" is nothing to worry about and just wants to confirm that the finding is nothing but a scar.  Scars of the lung are common.

Good luck.