Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
mucus retention cyst and resistant strep-pnuemo in my 2 year old
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

mucus retention cyst and resistant strep-pnuemo in my 2 year old

Hi all,

My 2 year old son has been on antibiotics for a sinus infection since November. My 4 and 5 year old daughters also have sinus issues and now all three have had tonsils, adenoids (adenoids) out and sinus flushes. My 5 year old had bones removed as well.

Anyway, my son got his tonsils out and sinuses flushed in February 2008. They cultured his sinuses and found that he had a resistant form of strep pnuemo (so sorry if I'm not spelling that correctly). He was on 2 different high powered oral antibiotics (one after another) and his repeat ct scan showed that he was still blocked. He had a Broviac placed and went on I.V vancomycin. Then, he had an allergic reaction to that and his ct scan showed that his sinuses were actually worse. We switched to I.V Zyvox and added oral Rifampin (sp?) and I.v. Diflucan.

He's been on those 3 for over 2 weeks now and has had a repeat ct scan today. I've gotten preliminary results from the NP... sinuses are better and he has a mucus retention cyst in his maxillary sinus. The dr. was not in and will get back to me on Monday as to what that means. In the meantime, I've done the ultimate no-no and searched the internet for answers.  And I've honestly not come up with a whole lot.

Does anyone have any information on this and what it could mean?

Thank you so much!