Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
sister's strange reaction to red wine

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

sister's strange reaction to red wine
My sister has been a "regular" drinker for years, sometimes a heavy drinker.  About two months ago, woke up after a few glasses of wine with a horrible crusty rash on her face and neck, swollen and sore.  She went to a dermatologist and I believe she also went to an allergist.  The rash eventually cleared up with time and steriods/antibiotics. Last Friday night she had a few glasses of wine after a hiatus and is back inflamed again.  I'm not seeing anything online like this, crusty, yeasty cracked skin.  Any ideas?  Suggestion?
Such reactions are not uncommon with red wines.  The reaction may be to the grape or to sulfite preservatives.  You should avoid those that are labeled as containing a sulfite preservative.
It is as "National Jewish" said above...its not uncommon to suffer from a sulfite preservative intolerance allergy. Please be careful and think about staying away from these "sulfites" which are in many foods etc also. You should think about keep an epipen with you.