Asthma and Allergy Expert Forum
swollen tonsils and allergies are they related

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Allergies, Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

I'm always sick and when i go to the doctor they tell me it tonsilitice and this is onece a month that i'm sick can it just be allergies making my tonsils swell? and is it a big problem? could it get worse?
Allergies are a most unlikely cause of tonsillar swelling.  Infection is usually the cause, and infection of the tonsils can be caused by a great variety of bacteria, not just by strep.  You should request that your tonsils be cultured for a wide range of bacteria, including those of sexually transmitted diseases.  Untreated or inadequately treated infection can turn into an abscess and that is a very “big problem.”  That is why it is important to get this resolved.

With infection, usually both tonsils are involved.  Asymmetrical enlargement of one tonsil should raise the possibility of a tumor growing in the tonsil, rather than infection.  Given the experience you describe, you should seek consultation with an ENT specialist or an Infectious Disease Specialist.

Good luck