Ataxia Community
General Life Expectancy?

WELCOME to the ATAXIA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Ataxia, which occurs when parts of the nervous system that control movement are damaged. People with ataxia experience a failure of muscle control in their arms and legs, resulting in a lack of balance and coordination or a disturbance of gait.

General Life Expectancy?

What is the life expectancy of a patient, who has Acute Cerebellar Ataxia and Spinal Muscular Atrophy-type4, after a severe, diffuse, traumatic brain injury, at the age of 16 years, resulting in 3 months of coma?
Hi Saff,

Hope you are doing well.
Remember we are not  doctors  here on the sight, just patient to patient  giving support.
Since  I personally am  unfamiliar with Spinal Muscular Atropy-4 I did look it up. If i read it correct the form is not  exppected to shorten a persons life. I would advise you to talk wiith your doctor since they would be familiar wiith your history.
Take care , Amo

Thanks for the info. on Spinal Muscular Atrophy not being fatal, it is pretty relentless though, well, that's just as good isn't it, as being terminal? For Acute Cerebellar Ataxia I've researched it to be about 35-40 years post trauma. That gives me around nine to fourteen more years, since it's already 26 years post trauma. Can the debilitating affects of Acute Cerebellar Ataxia be lessened or removed. I'd hate to get more and more dependant on my husband for essentials, since Acute Cerebellar Ataxia is said to be degenerative?
Hi Saff,

I guess I aam  a  liittle confused. Your note said you have the ACA (acute Cerebellar Ataxia) from a TBI (tramatic Brain Injury) I am confused that would continue too have a degenerative process.
Even with ACA from a virus, I woulld have thought the process would stop once the illness passed.
What have your doctors actually told you about your personal prognosis?

Many many people with Ataxia  can still be rather self suficiannt through their life. You can ask your doctor to write a  script for Physical/Occupational Therapy to keep you as safe and independant as you can.

Ataxia is very difficult  to treat, if not impossible, just a very stubborn area  of the brain.
Hope you h ave a  good day, and be safe! Amo

My mum has cerebeller Ataxia and they say its genetic cause her mum had it so I could have this to and I'm 24 and want to know, so is there a test?
HI Jane and welcome to our small nook heree ... sorry to here of your   grand mother and mother have contended with Ataxia.

With them bothh having it it   does sound  like it likely is hereditary form
I  know when I had  some genetic profiles doone,,  years ago) it was costly. Lucky  my insurance picked up the bill. Since then in 2003 I know they have identified more genetic markers, how many more I don't know.

Have you  mom and grandmom had testing? Depending on the type doctors and genetisists would maybe determine how it is passed (dominant or recessive?)

Have you displayed any symptoms?
If having testing done is what you would want to persue, you will need to have a neuro specialist refer  the  blood work. Since it sounds they have not labeled the specific one, they could eithher run the whole panel,, or maybe narrow it down through symptoms, age of onset, etc. On the other hand sometimes the full panel would not determine the gene as they have not identified all of them.

DO you know whhat ages your mom and g.mom were at onset?
you know,, IF  you  did have SCA, there  is no treatment and unfortunately nothing  to stop it. I understand wanting to know and be educated. Keeping active , safe is important.

These diseases can be very hard to figure out.
But my first suggestion would to start with your primary doctor and have  some good conversation with him.her.
I hope you  are not stressing.
Have a good day and be in touch . I  know this forum  is slow since ther  are not so many of us  with Ataxia to begin with, but  I try to maKe sure I read often . Amo