Ataxia Community
cerebellar atrophy

WELCOME to the ATAXIA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Ataxia, which occurs when parts of the nervous system that control movement are damaged. People with ataxia experience a failure of muscle control in their arms and legs, resulting in a lack of balance and coordination or a disturbance of gait.

cerebellar atrophy

Please someone help us!
Since 2009 my huspand 59 yrs old had develope accordin to the neurology ;spinocerebellar ataxia but he can not determine which of the 30.
The 2nd MRI one was took on 2009, this one Sept.24,2010 reads as follow:
Impresion: Degenerated disc with decreased signal intensity on T2 weighted Images, bulging annulus fibrosus, associated with degenerative joint disease in the left uncovertebral joint and secondary mild compresion of the dural sac and narrowing of the left neural foramen at C6-C7. Degenerated disc with decrased signal intensity on the T2 weigthted images, bulging annulus fibrosus, associated with degenerative joint disease in uncovertebral joints and secondary narrowing of the neural foramina at C3-C4,C4-C5 and C5-C6. No evidenceof disc herniation. Small size of the cerebellar hemispheres and prominent cerebellar folia, could represent cerebellar atrophy. There is no significant change when compared to previous study done elsewhere on July-17-2009. this one was for MRI CERVICAL SPINE.

On the MRI OF BRAIN the impresion were:Took on August 26.2010
1.findings are most consistent with cerebellar atrophy.
2.Prominent Virchow-Robin spaces bilaterall y in the region of the anteior commissure,which is a normal variant.
3.Minimal ischemic changes of the periventricular white matter.

Please we need at least which is the one he got of the 29 or 30 that are identified ASC1 t0 ASC29-30. We know that a DNA will help but if someone there by reading these impresions could at least be  more esoecific or maybe he has other deesead instead of ataxia cerbellar now he can not write his speech is blur and his balance is getting worse also his moods. Thanks for any information that can help us. Three years ago he was not like this!!!!

This pranayam will send extra oxygen to the brain and help with the balance gradually.I will give you more techniques later.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
hi cotita

I am sorry for your husbands problems
i know wanting to know if there is a genetic 'type' and would be more answers, sometime there just are not.
I hope he is seen   by doctoors who understand Ataxia , that is important.
take care , amo