Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Hypersensitivity to Sound

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Hypersensitivity to Sound
Occasionally I suffer from an intense and sudden hypersensitiviy to sounds. Today it happened while I was trying to get work done and it was so painful and distracting that I couldn't accomplish anything. Every noise, no matter how quiet it really was, seemed to be of an equally loud volume. I couldn't seem to be able to filter out any noise. What could have caused this and what could I possibly do to prevent and handle this?

I'm 18 now, but this has been going on for as long as I can remember. My brother has a pervasive developmental disorder and I have been told by a psychiatrist that I may have ADD and/or OCD and/or an anxiety disorder. Could this have anythingf to do with it?