Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Expert Forum
Older fathers

Questions in the Autism & Asperger's Syndrome forum are answered by researchers at the New England Center for Children. Topics covered include Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Antisocial Personality Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Autism, blindness, bullying, clinical depression, deafness, dyslexia, mental retardation, and social alienation.

Older fathers

I am 25 very in love and with a 60 year old man ( he acts 40 most times) we have bin together 4 years , abd are expecting a baby due on march 25 2013, i got pregnant after trying 3 cycles , i herd it would take longer due to his age, but nope , now i am terrified my child will be born with autism , i am scared i would love the child i would just be really stressed by the demands of a child with autism spectrum disorder, and hope i could handle it if my child had it severly , and it would pain me so deeply to see others staring or being mean , in school if u are different u are picked on : ( my child could not have it i could be freaking for nothing or could have a thousand different things weong but vut i am concerned with this because of the paternal age , i get conflicting info online abd i dont know what say 5 fold ir watever even means percents are easier for me to understand , does anybody know any facts on paternal age and autism or anything ? Once i get one thing to worry about tO cross off my list im on to the next , this one i havent bin able to ease my mind yet i let go of miscarriage because of time , i let gO of downs syndrome ( also age related in men n women ) because i had quad screenings n showed no markers on ultrasound, so feel like risk is low , this id have to watch out for for years, i have panic disorder cant u tell
I think what I would recommend most, besides suggesting that you not worry about this so much, is to simply observe your child closely during the first year of life, and see if there are any signs that might suggest that he or she has autism (e.g., not making eye contact with you, never smiling at you).  If you have concerns, talk to your pediatrician and see if your child can be screened by someone with expertise in diagnosing autism in very young children.  If it turns out that your child does have autism, it is crucial that early intensive behavioral intervention be started, as the evidence is clear that the earlier and stronger you intervene (using applied behavior analysis as treatment), the outcomes are very encouraging, and some children have even lost their autism diagnosis after a number of years of intervention.  The keys, though, are starting early, and having intervention provided by someone with expertise in using applied behavior analysis with young children with autism--ideally, a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA).  You can find a registry of BCBAs in your area at www.bacb.org.

Best of luck!