Autism Community
Concerned for 25 month old

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Concerned for 25 month old

I am concerned, although I should not be, about my DS who is 25 months old.  At his 2 year well visit our pediatrician suggested he have a speech and neuropsychological evaluation for autism based on his poor eye contact and inability to follow her directions at the visit.  We have since visited a speech therapist and my son is receiving therapy twice a week for a pragmatic delay and he is making great strides in two weeks alone.  The visit to a Pediatric Neuropsychologist yielded a "no autism" diagnosis with a score of 18 on the CARS scale.  I know I should listen to the professionals, but my mind races with fear over if they may have gotten it wrong, especially with the "pragmatic delay" notation by the speech therapist.
Some background on my son.  He is affectionate, will kiss you when asked, loves to cuddle up with mom, dad or twin sister and wathc cartoons.  Looks for comfort when ill or hurt.  Loves to play hide and seek with his sister and us.  Loves to read books, do puzzles, play with his dinosaurs, color/scribble.  He shows interest in other children and will play with them happily and laugh and giggle, etc.  He sometimes lines things up, but not obsessively and not very often.  He has no issues with spinning.  He loves to watch tv and movies and will laugh appropriately at funny moments, etc.
The only things that have been bothering me are he sometimes likes to lie down on the floor an pass his toys in from of his face like pushing a car or truck by, or "walking" his animals by.  He does not do this for extended periods of time, and getting him to do something else is no problem at all.  He also sometimes looks to the side when running, but not all the time.  His play is repetitive in the sense that he will play with his toys the same way most of the time, but not always.  He shows some imaginative play such as making animals walk while making their sounds, pushing/riding on cars and trucks while making noises, etc., but is not "making stories" with his toys.  I can also see that he has a language delay and fear this is pointing to some form of mild autism.  He can say at least 100 words and is very good at labeling/pointing at items, has many 2-3 word phrases, but is not very good at communicating with his words.  He will say "I want water" "I want to go bye-bye", etc. and we are working with him to get him to express his needs/wants more, but at this point he get frustrated easily because he cannot express things, although he is making progress.
My wife is telling me I am crazy since we got the "all clear" from the neuropsychologist and he is developing every day.  Am I the one who needs therapy and am analyzing my son too much who likley only has a language delay?  The whole "not knowing" thing is driving me crazy.  Sorry for the long post.
Have you looked into sensory processing disorder?  A lot of the things you are worried about could be classified under this.  Like looking out of the corners of his eyes etc.