Autism Community
when does Autism stop getting worse

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

when does Autism stop getting worse

My 2 and a half year old son was just diagnosed with PDD-NOS.  While they said he's on the low end of the spectrum, I'm devastated.  My wife and I don't know where to turn.  I first want to know if anyone knows for sure when it stops getting worse.  I feel like he's getting worse but I think it might be because I'm looking for it now.  We have him in early intervention and want to do anything and everything to help.  I keep hearing horrible stories.  Does anyone out there have any good stories?  Anything at all you can share would be appreciated.
Tags: pdd-nos
Its pretty bad in the beginning BUT you have time.  Early intervention, good parents, alot of hope and enjoying the little things helps but you may always have the sense of loss of the 'typical child' you dreamed about.  I have 4 yo twins, the girl pdd nos- and the boy typical...Weird eh?>  So we knew early and we got her therapy started at 13 mo.  GET LOTS OF HOURS.  GET ABA from/through Early intervention.  ABA therapy can help, but you need at least 20 - 25 hrs per week to prep for preschool.  You can do it....you can get it covered by insurance, or through EI-   Push and move to a town with good special services if you can!  We did many things but our school sys is difficult and doesn't have alot of autism (again weird)  So now at 4 she asks for playdates, and has them (yes they are painful sometimes) and we use a therapist to run them.  She has 5 hours of ABA at school, and a FULL DAY of preschool with lots of pullouts for speech ot and pt.  She is talking quite a bit and she speaks in sentences and communicates in doses that are painfully slow but getting better!  She is happy in school, loves the sameness and the structure, which help her to do ok in tough things like birthday parties, museums, and being home without structure.  She is happy when she's in a comfortable space and we work at making that comfort generalized to more and more situations.
HANG IN THERE!  It gets better with really really hard work for everyone~