Autoimmune Disorders Community
ANA what is positive

ANA what is positive

I have been reading where people had a positive ana. I had an ana of 1:160 mixed (1:160 speckled, 1:160 homogenous) and was told that it is negative by a rheumatologist.  How high do you have to go to be considered positive?  Why are some people told they are positive at lower levels than mine?  Can you be positive at one time and negative at another or are there false positives?  Sorry about so many questions but I am tired of being bounced around from dr to dr without any help!!   ~K
anyone at all?
I have recently been diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Eryth. with secondary Sjogren's...and as I am fairly new to it all, don't know if I can be of much help. I have gone to the official Lupus site, and the Sjogren's one also, and they both have information on the ANA titers...I also searched using ANA with my titer number and pattern(s). From what I have gathered, there are 11? criteria for a Lupus diagnosis, with statements that if you have at least 4 of the criteria, then Lupus is possible. Do you have any other symptoms? In my case, the past 4 times over the last several years, my bloodwork has shown ANA titers with 2 different patterns...and the amount of the titer has been fairly consistent, 1:640, 1:320, 1:640, 1:640...in addition I also have several other symptoms that have not gone away. My GP Dr. had been "following" it all for me, and the last blood work we ran, he called me and told me it was time for me to "quit ignoring it' , and he made the referral to the Rheumatologist. I also have a family history of autoimmunity, including my Grandfather having had Lupus. I hope this helps you somewhat, and maybe you can look up some of the above info and that will help...hopefully some others will come along who have more knowledge, also...
Good Luck,
C
PS I do think it is possible for the ANA to fluctuate, in the case of myself, exposure to sunlight really is a problem!
I'm 44 years old and was diagnosed with Lupus back in 2005.  After learning all the symptoms I realized I had been suffering with it since my late teens.  My ANA would be positive off and on over the years but it's like calamfred said you have to meet so many different criteria before they will actually diagnose you with Lupus.  It took my 18 year old daughter running off and getting married before I finally had enough symptoms at the same time to get diagnosed.  Finding a good doctor is not an easy task.  Some will be very thorough but not very supportive when you have different concerns.  They will just pass you off with the attitude of "I know what I'm talking about so just do what I say."  My experience has been hardly any of them know what they are talking about because we are all very different.  The sun is the best thing for me.  I have always tanned very easily and a few years ago I developed a rash on my foot that no one could tell me what it was.  Being in the sun or a tanning bed is the only thing that helps it.  Otherwise it is so scaly and itchy it drives me nuts.

I don't know if this has helped at all but if I can help answer some of your questions I'll be happy to try.

Karen
Thanks for the Reply.  You are right about doctors passing off.  That is the most fustrating thing in all of this mess.  Last spring I developed a rash along my scalp that is extremly itchyand scaly!!  I also got a few rashes, I think from the sun.  I also had a few other rashes.  It's funny that we both have the same name and are the same age!!  My kidneys also do an on and off thing where all the sudden my GFR goes down and I have Protein in my 24 hour urine plus a multitude of other on and off things.  Just haven't been able to find any one doctor to help put the puzzel together.  Thanks again,  Karen  
I too was having trouble getting a dx.  Suffered for over a year with on and off symptoms.  It was crazy.  Until someone on medhelp recommended getting in the sun before lab was drawn.  My ANA went from 160, 640, neg, 2,560.  Your dr. is right, 160 is not considered a substantial number.  But spending time in the sun sure helped jack my ANA up where I could get a dx and some very much needed medicine.  If you don't have lupus, the sun will not affect the ANA.  I had 5 of the 11 criteria symptoms and they still wouldn't give me a dx.  Until that wopping ANA number.

I am on Plaquinel and am doing so much better.  I still have some joint pain and fatigue, but it is nothing like it was.  I was disabled for about a year.

Praying for you.
Kara
I am wicked confused. My doctor said my ANA was neg but then followed it with.. well think of it this way it reads 1:100,000. Am I completely confused or what? Did he mean I have a 1 in 100,000 chance it is lupus or is it not neg? Soo lost.