Autoimmune Disorders Community
Autoimmune Hepatitis
Viewing 201-218 comments:
Sounds good...When I went to my regular Dr a couple weeks ago, he asked me if they tested for lupus.  I told him I didn't think that they had.  So he told me he wanted me tested for that.  I told him I would come back in a couple of weeks and have my cholesterol drawn and be tested for the lupus.  I think he was running a couple of other tests as well.  Thanks for the info...I'll match it against my results...Lord knows I have no idea what any of those numbers mean, but I know when mine come back I can match it.  Talk to you soon!
Well good luck to the both of you with all this testing for lupus. My doctor has never mentioned it. Maybe I should also ask about it. I get some joint pain but nothing that last long or maybe I should just leave it all these diseases are driving me crazy.
Well you guys let me know what's going on with all this.
Well I haven't been feeling all that great the last couple of days always feeling like I'm about to throw up.
I spoke to my liver DR. and he hopes it not my liver acting up again. I told him I could still handle it so I prefer to wait for my next blood tests.
It was pretty hard working out last night. I'm not sure if I mentioned this but I also jump on a trampoline a big one as part of my work out so last night after every somersalt
I almost threw up, but I am determined not to let this disease win.
Take care ladies.
Sara, you are a great testimony to us all.  You definitely are a fighter of this disease.  You have mentioned the jumping on the trampoline thing before.  I remember it stood out because I didn't know how you did it.  I can't even jump straight up and down on my kids big trampoline let alone somersalts.  Even jumping makes me sick...Cut yourself some slack w/that.  That is crazy...We will Pray that it definitely is not your liver acting up again.  Has anyone tried taking milk thistle?  I have heard from a couple of people that it is a great herb for liver function.  My Liver Dr. didn't want me taking it,but I think I am going to start it.  All my other Dr's and all the reading I've done on it, say it is great.  Anyone have information about it????  That may help you as well Sara.  My regular Dr. said to take 200 mg/day.  My liver book I am reading as well says 200 mg/day is vital for anyone w/liver problems...
When are your next liver tests Sara?  Mine are actually a week from Wed.  They are Feb 13th...Wish me luck!
Like I've said before I love this forum and I thing it is great that we have each other.
My next blood tests aren't until mid March. I wish you lots of luck with your next labs.
I haven't heard anything about taking milk thistle, I will have to google it. How ever I am taking calcium and vitamin D tablets. I will ask my liver Dr. about this. What book are you reading, can you tell me the name and author, maybe I can find it here and if not I can get my Dad to bring it from Canada when he come to visit in March.
Take care ladies.
Hey there,  The book I read and now I use it all the time for reference is The Healthy Liver and Bowel Book by: Sandra Cabot.  Great resource book. A lot of stuff she says in the book I have taken in and over the last year I've heard other Dr's really say the same thing.  So I definitely think she is on to something.  The only thing I am taking is Calcium and Vitamin D as well.  I take a calcium pill w/vitamin d in it.  Is that what you do or do you take a separate vitamin d pill?  How are you feeling today? Is the nausea going away?  I hope you are feeling better.  And I'm sure by mid march your tests will be great.  Take Care!
Thanks for the information I will definatly look for this book.
I am taking 1 pill with calcium and vitamin D.
The nauseasness hasn't gone away it alway comes and goes but I am really trying to ignore it. Thanks for asking.
Hope your feeling fine.
Take care.
Have a Great Day as well!  I hope you are having sunshine.  It has been cloudy and snowy here for about 6 days.  They say the clouds should last another 6-7 days.  Man, I have to get out of this state.  Miserable!!!!
Hi guys

I need to look for that book too! I hope you are feeling better Sarad...I haven't had to deal w/ nausea personally, but I can imagine it is awful.

I also take a pill w/ calcium and vitamin D, and I also take a multivitamin separately...I'm sure it's probably overkill, but I figure it can't hurt.

I have my next labs tomorrow! I'm quite nervous...I'm afraid my AST will still be creeping up...it was 54 last time. I will ask about upping the Imuran if it has increased at all, that is, if they'll let me drop to 10mg pred tomorrow....crossing my fingers!!!
Let us know how your labs go.  You are taking the exact pills that I do.  Calcium w/Vitamin D and a multivitamin.  Do look for the book.  It has a lot of information.  Of course, I've talked to my liver Dr. about it, and he doesn't seem to buy in to much of it, but he is clearly all about the meds, and not what food, Prayer/Meditation and Exercise can do for you.  So I do everything medically he tells me to do, and I do the rest on my own.....I really do follow a lot of the books advice....Clearly not all, since you guys know I love my junk food...
Take Care All.....
Just popping in to say:

AST: 33
ALT: 32

Woohoooooo!!!!!!
Fabolous news!!!  Congratulations.  Doesn't that just feel awesome?  You are doing great!
iloveigs: Great news girl way to go. You must be sooooo happy.
This is just great. So are you going down on the pred. let us know.
Kim: you should be having your labs soon. Let us know the results.
Well I am still feeling nauseas. I had my excersice and trampoline yesterday and the entire 1.5 hour I felt like vomiting. I didn't stop I will not let this disease beat me. I must over come it. I really don't want to go back on prednisone.
People are finally telling me that my face is not so round any more. The moon face is finally starting to deflate.
Well the weather here is really nice now. 18-20 degrees celcius during the day and around 6-9 degress during the nights. Sorry I have no idea what this is in farinhights.
Last week however we did have snow which doesn't happen very much in Israel so we took the kid for a few hours. That was enough for me. I come from Winnipeg Manitoba and the winters there are freezing, so I definatly don't miss the snow.
Well ladies take care and keep up with the great work.
Just a little update.  I am now done the pres. no more steriods woo hoo.  and I am on nothing else at the momment.  Been getting some kinda bad heartburn lately I think it was from getting so sick last week my is not happy about all that throwing up.  I am going to start the 6mp next week.  But I have been doing okay on nothihng and its just great to not be popping so many pills.  got my bloods done on wed and havent heard anything about them being high or anything.  I am going to start the maintance therapy only cuz 25% you wont replase arent the best odds.

When you getting the water off your body from the steriods. has anyone else experenced alot of diaerra. I cant spell sorry everyone.  I dont keep my bloods.  I notice you all know your levels.. is this something I should ask my doctor about??? do you guys get copies or something???

Keep positive ladies :-) wish my luck next week on the 6MP .
Wow great news you are off the prednisone. You must be so happy.
I am also feeling not so great I'm sure that once you start 6MP you will feel fine.
Well I get copies of all labs I take I get them through the internet. I have a special code through the health care here.I have a binder with all my medical results it's better than what the doctors have.
I think it's important for you to know your results.
Well good luck with everything.
Well good luck with everything.
Well good luck with everything.
Well good luck with everything.
Hey Guys,
Sorry I've been out of the loop for a couple of days.  Rockmelon44 great news w/the meds.  It must just feel awesome to be off all meds.  I dream of the day...I haven't been off the sterroids ever so I'm not sure about the diarrhea, but I know everytime I've been reduced I've never had a problem.  So I'm not sure what that is all about.  
I like Sarad keep all my lab results.  My hospital faxes them to me when they fax them to my Dr.  I like to keep track.  I keep them all by date in my binder.  I notice I'm getting quite experienced, it allows me to bring them up to my Dr.  Just keeps me in the loop.
Well, I go for labs on Wednesday.  It'll be a month.  I am Praying I get reduced.  Just starting to feel that burning out feeling again.  Thursday, Feb 14th will be the 1 year anniversary that I met my liver Dr.  I was so sick at that time.  I certainly have come a long way.  And March 19th will be the year anniversary that they diagnosed me w/certainity that it was AIH.  The journey seems like a long straight narrow road, that I haven't been able to get off, I'm hoping Wednesday brings me some a clearer path.  

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!!  
Good luck tomorrow Kim. Will be thinking of you!
Hey Kim,
Lots of luck with your labs. If you have been feeling OK lately I'm sure everything will be fine. Lets us know your results when you get them.
I know what you feel about that burning out feeling. Now that I am off prednisone my body has alot to adjust too. I was use to being up till late with no problem and now I fall asleep on the couch just as soon as the kids are sleeping. I hate that, even before this disease and all the sterroids I was energetic and never in bed before 11PM.
Well I guess it's just another thing we must adjust to.
Take care ladies.
Hi ladies,
Well ladies, I had my blood drawn.  I have not heard from my liver Dr. yet, but my numbers did get better.  Thank you Lord.  Still not in the norm yet, but getting there.  My AST stayed the same 69.  My ALT went from 151 to 129.  And my bilirubin went from 2.54 to 2.40.  So slowly but surely.
Pray my Dr. thinks it is lowering enough to reduce me.  He has reduced before as long as its really moving in the right direction.  All my other labs (3 pages) were normal.  You know the hematology section and the blood clotting section.
Thanks for thinking of me.  You guys are great!  
Sarad, I am w/you.  I am out like a light by 11 PM.  That is even a stretch.  Usually 10:30.  I can't imagine what will happen when I'm off the prednisone.
Take Care Ladies!  
Quick question for you:  I woke up in the night trying to self diagnose myself so I wanted to ask you a question.  Did your Dr. raise your imuran as your numbers got closer to the normal range or when he took you off of the prednisone?  Or did he raise your imuran as you were going through the process?  As I was looking at my chart that my liver Dr. put together I see that everytime my 6 MP has been raised I don't do as well.  I had my biggest reduction in liver numbers when they took me off the imuran and 6 mp and just had me on prednisone.  So I was thinking of asking him to try me for 2 wks on the prednisone only and see how I do.  If numbers keep reducing then add the 6 MP as I get off the prednisone.  Let me know how your Dr's did it.  I'm wondering if both those drugs together are to much for my body.  

Take care ladies and let me know.....I'll  let you know if I hear from my liver Dr. today
Hey :)

I can't really respond in a helpful way to your question. I've only been on a low dose of imuran and it was added about a month after I started the prednisone and I've just been slowly decreasing on the prednisone w/ no increase yet on the imuran.....hopefully sarad will have better info for you!
First of all I am glad to hear that your numbers have gotten a bit lower. With our disease even if it is just a bit it's good.
I started all my medications May 1st 2007.
40 mg prednisone and 75 mg imuran.
The Imuran never changed I am still on 75 mg.
It may go down for the first time to 50 mg when I have my next labs in about a month from now. It all depends on my results. I see that I am the only one who started imuran from the very beginning and stayed on the same dosage the entire time. Is this correct?
My liver Dr. said that I am one of his only patients that is going the way it is written in the books with the dosages of all the medications.
I hope it just stays like this.
Kim: Have you heard from your live DR. yet? Any news about reducing the prednisone?
Erin: What is your dosage of prednisone and imuran at now?
Well ladies take good care. Hope you all had a nice Valentines day?
Be strong.
Thank you for the information.  Yes, I think you are the only text book case.  I started the prednisone at 40 too and 25 imuran.  But then my Dr. kept raising the imuran as he reduced the prednisone.  When I look back at my tests, everytime they raised imuran I wouldn't do as well for awhile.  Then I turned completely allergic to imuran.
Now I am on 12.5 of prednisone and they started me on 50 of 6 MP (like an imuran).  On Dec 17th they kept me on 12.5 of prednisone and bumped me up to 100 of 6 MP.  That next test result was terrible, my numbers went through the roof.  Now they are coming down from that.  Dec 31 I was AST 175 and ALT 151.  But before the boost in 6 MP I was almost normal.  So in thinking about this I want to discuss w/my Dr. that maybe my body can't handle that much 6 MP and prednisone.  To start weening me off the prednisone and not to continue to keep raising the 6 MP until I am on a much lower dose of prednisone.  This is all come about from me waking up at 3 AM yesterday and not being able to fall asleep.  So I pulled out all of my blood labs and starting charting and looking for patterns...And now I see that is what your Dr. does.  He didn't keep raising the 6 MP (imuran).  I'm sure I'll hear from them today.  I'll let you guys know.  

I just feel that nobody knows my body better then me.  I'm the only one who is in charge of me.  So I'm going to talk to him today and see what he thinks of my theory.  I don't want to be a "pushy" patient, but in looking at the information it looks like I may be right.  Though last time I spoke to my liver nurse she told me as long as my numbers had a nice decline they would probably reduce prednisone again.  So here is to hoping....
I may just have to use you as a example Sara....

Take care everyone.  By the way how was your Valentine's Day?  Hope you had a happy day!!!
Hello Everyone,
So sorry to hear there are so many out there with AIH & other autoimmune disorders.  
I have AIH myself, was diagnosed in 2001 along with HCV.  I know when I contracted the HCV, was in summer of 1997 & not from needle use.  I jaundiced & urinated brown, went to my doctor, had all hepatitis tests ran for a good 6 months & nothing showed up.  I kept getting severe arthritic problems in upper part of body & was told it was just arithritis.  In addition I kept losing alot of weight.  My husband was diagnosed with HCV in 2001.  His doctor ran the test due to seeing the tatoos on his arm & that he had got them while in Nam.  When his test came bk positive, I remembered the problems had & that no show of any form of hepatitis had shown up after 6 months of repeated testing.  I immediately ran to the doctor again & this time was diagnosed with the HCV.  It took me a good 6 months to get into see a gastro dr.  During all of his testing, I did give him the family background of an aunt dying of Lupus & my older brother having Chron's disease along with rhuematoid arth.  After the biopsy came bk it was found that I also had AIH.  I was immediately put on 50 mg of prednisone & 50 mg of Imuran.  I am now down to 5 mg of prednisone along with the Imuran & seem to be doing pretty well.  I have also tx for the HCV for a total of 40 wks & been ok with that now for a yr & half.  I have been informed though by my hep doctor that either one can activate & trigger the other one into action & could still require a transplant down the line.  In additon to my older brother having 2 autoimmune diseases, I have a younger brother who will probably die from NASH, another autoimmune disease of the liver.  I had a first cousin pass recently from an autoimmune disease of the pulmonary system.  When I google this in, I come up with systemic lupus. I think this is something passed down thru the genes but am not really clear on this.  I return to the Hepatologist this spring for blood work & am writing down questions about all this to help me. with.  
I find that I must be out of the norm to have both a viral form of hepatitis along with the AIH.  I guess the viral thing kicked in the gene for the AIH.  Anyone out there ever have this issue also?
And do any of you have all of these autoimmune issues in the family??
Thanks for any insight, Jody
Hi Judy :)

Wow, you have a lot going on in your family...sorry to hear about all the bad stuff.

I've never heard of anyone having a viral hep form and AIH...but then again, I'm pretty new to this myself.

I have AIH, Lupus, and colitis and was just diagnosed w/ the first 2 last Nov.

I'm down to 10mg of prednisone and 25mg of imuran.

I don't know of anyone else in my family w/ any autoimmune issues, except for a paternal first cousin that has RA.

Welcome to our little family. :)

Erin
Well, we weren't aware of all these autoimmune disorders until the last 5 yrs or so other then my maternal aunt passing of lupus & we did not know nor understand that it could be an inherited factor when she passed away in the 70's.  Then of course, when my older brother became ill with his diseases, don't know if we knew even then.  It was only when I discussed with my doctor all of those things, that I was informed these were called autoimmune disorders & not until I started going out on the web did I recognize them even halfway as to what it meant.  My cousin who passed was only informed of her disease about 3 yrs ago.  She went downhill in Dec when she was put on high doses of prednisone, but I guess by then it was too late to do much.
I know there aren't many persons out there who have the two forms of hepatitis going on, I have been informed of this by my doctor. I kind of requested the autoimunne forum to Harry due to this & also all the diseases rampant in my family.
Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.  Jo
Hey ladies....No news today.  My liver nurse was not in so they told me I should hear something on monday.  They told me all my numbers were entered into the computer, but the Dr and my nurse still had to discuss.  So I'll let you know when I hear..

On a different note:  Went out to dinner tonight and to a hockey game w/my hubby and another couple.  The restaurant and the hockey game(someone was smoking in a no smoking ice arena)were smokey.  Well, my eyes are killing me.  They are red and kind of achy.  Any of you get like that in smokey areas???  Now that I'm home they seem to be doing better, but it was bad.  I realize I haven't been around smoke lately.  Not sure if my eyes are getting yucky from the sterroids or what.  Let me know.  I don't think we've ever discussed "achy eyes" before....Ha ha

P.S.  Welcome Jody515.....

Have a Good Night!
Welcome Jody I am glad you found this forum.
Sorry to hear about all you family history.
I have coltis and AIH. From what I understood fro my liver Dr. most of this is genetic.
Kim: I haven't had any problems with my eyes but I will start paying attention.
I thing you are right about knowing your body and I think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor. Keep us updated on everything.
I have been feeling a bit better the last couple of days. I notice when I excersice I get this nauseaus feeling but I won't let it win and I will not stop excersicing.
Take care ladies.
Awsome "can do" attitude Sara.  That is what will get us through....

I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something.  I am hoping my nurse will be back to work and by monday/tuesday I'll hear something...I guess even Liver nurses need a day off, huh???

Take care Guys...
i am one crazy fool I have been taking nothing for 2 weeks now but my tummy is happy to get back to normal from all the sickness from the imuran.  Need to start the 6MP this week though feel like I am playing with fire.  My bloods levels still remain normal except one went up abit but nothing major.  Nice to meet you Jody I was just diagnosed in Nov and its been up and down.  I have been relatively good though only on pres. for 3 months.

it soo great not taking a pill cocktail anymore.  I hope everyone keeps up doing well. and I have diabetes type 2 and tyroid in my family but no major auto issues.  

Getting bloods done this week. hope they are staying normal. :-)
I have definitely noticed a difference in my eyes. They are dry and tired a lot. It isn't anything major, but it certainly is a difference...

Does anybody consume alcohol in this forum? I had my first glass of wine since October the other night and have major concerns that it is goign to make my numbers bounce/delay my steroid tapering. I'm pretty sure it will be fine, but I just wondered... It's nice to indulge every now and then.
Thanks for the tip on the eyes...

As far as the alcohol goes, I definitely do not recommend it.  I have not touched any alcohol, but I will tell you this, in December my numbers went high, which now they found was due to a cold I was fighting, but my Dr asked me immediately if I had any alcohol over the Christmas/New Years celebrations because even a little alcohol can cause the liver numbers to really rise.  For your own livers health, I say try to stay away!  When I told my Dr. no, he even asked me if I had 1 glass?  He said even w/one glass he notices it with a lot of his patients...I know what you mean about indulging, trust me, but just my opinion.  Eat a brownie instead!!!!!!!!!!  ha ha
I am not sure if your as young as me and all  your firend like to go downtown and have a few.  My doctor told me once in awhile is okay, but very little when i do drink and not often.  He said dont go home everynight and drink wine with supper.  But every couple of months a glass wont kill you.  everyone is differnet though I would ask you doctor.
That's interesting, because I am young (27) and my Liver Doctor said that I could have a drink here and there... However, my father who is a general practitioner, advised against it because my numbers could bounce. I have mostly been avoiding it because one drink isn't really that fun anyway and because I hate, hate, hate steroids and will do anything to be off them ASAP.
Speaking of which, I started Imuran 2 weeks ago. I seem to have a reduced appetite (good) but no nausea. Have you guys like Imuran for the most part?
Well about the drinking alcohol stuff, everyone is different. My Dr. also told me a good glass of red wine is OK once in a while. I do have half a glass once in a wine with a meal, I haven't noticed any problems because of that.
Rockmelon44 let us know how your blood tests go.
Kim have you heard from your Dr. yet. I am praying for you that pred. will go down a bit.
I have been on imuran since the beginning and haven't had any complications with it.
My next labs are only in about a month.
Well ladies take good care.
Hi Sara...Yes, I heard from my nurse yesterday afternoon.  Finally, the time has come to reduce my prednisone.  They put me down to 10 mg and to be tested again in 2 weeks.  I Pray that I can hold it steady...Thanks for Praying for me, it is surely working!!!!
How are you feeling?  Is the nausea subsiding at all?

Gentle liver...I could not handle the imuran.  I felt great on it, but it caused a toxicity in my body, and I was taken off of it and switched to 6 MP.  Which is basically the same thing, but for some reason people who can't handle imuran do well on 6 MP.  It seems to be going good now.  Let me be the first to say, having a toxicity to imuran is rare.  Most people do fabolous on imuran and never, ever have a problem.  So feel pretty confident that you'll do great, like most others do.  Most people seem to like imuran.

Have a Good One!
Hi everyone :)

Kim, glad to hear that you get to reduce the pred finally!!!

I'm having a blood draw this afternoon and will find out the results tomorrow morning and then I have an appt. with my GI at 10:30.

I've been having problems w/ inflammed cartilage in my left ribs...at least that's what I think it is. At first I thought it might be pluerisy, but now I'm thinking otherwise. I went to see my GP Monday b/c of it....it was very painful. She prescribed an anti-inflammatory (Naproxen). I've taken 5 pills of it so far and while it hasn't gotten any worse, I don't think it's helping yet. I read on the internet that Naproxen could elevate LFT's, so I called my GI nurse yesterday to make sure it was ok to be taking it. She checked w/ my GI and he said it was fine....well, if my LFT's are elevated today, I'm going to be mad!!

Anyways, crossing my fingers for another reduction tomorrow, hopefully I'll be down to 5mg pred and then hopefully off it in 2 more weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Good Luck today.  I wonder what is going on w/your ribs?  I think your GI will probably be able to give you more information.  You always feel better after talking to them, huh?  Well let us know as soon as you hear something.

Have a Good One
First let me say I am happy to have found you as a group.  Second, how about someone start a new posting on this because this one is getting so big it takes forever to pull up.
Also, I have noticed some of you saying you will be coming off prednisone soon.  How can this be?? I was diagnosed in either 2001 or 2002, have been on it since, & the doctor doesn't take me off or even suggest it?? What does the doctor say about taking someone off?? I believe I am to be on this for the rest of my life??  Thanks again, Jody
I agree that this thread is getting really long. What about moving over to the new forum for AIH? I'll start a new thread there with a response to Jody515.

Erin :O)
I posted a response to you in the other forum under the very first thread. :)
Okay, I'm moving to the new website?  Sara, make sure you move there too????
Is everyone moving to the new website?? I will post this on both just in case.  I am doing well I have been on the 6 mp for about a week and loving it.  Some bathroom issues but its okay.  My bloods seem to be staying normal.  Has anyone had high blood pressure from their pill or the condition or anything??.  Been lossing weight got almost 10 pounds off! :-).    Doing Wicked finally feeling like I am in control of this diease.  Hope you ladies are doing well.. take care. talk soon.  :-)
autoimmune hepatitis will pass to my partner through sexual intercourse?? pls tell me, thanks..
Women with autoimmune hepatitis can pregnant?? will it transfer to the baby??
Viewing 201-218 comments: