Autoimmune Disorders Community
Cortizone shots and Alopecia Areata

Cortizone shots and Alopecia Areata

Hi i was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. I was going to a doctor (not a dermatologist) that gave me  some cortisone shots into the patches. Some hair started to grow in the middle of the spots 4 weeks after. My question is: am i supposed to get more injections into the same areas even of some hair grown took place? Or should i just leave them and not take any more cortisone? The reason i ask is because the doctor don't seem to sure of it either.

Hoping for an answer!

/Tobias
Hi!

There are various treatment modalities for alopecia areata.  One is to apply a strong steroid ointment on the bald patch daily until hair grows back. Second is to give steroid injection. These are repeated every 4-6 weeks until desired response is achieved. The third is to apply a combination of minoxidil and anthralin. The last option is PUVA in which a drug called psoralen is taken two hours before starting a long-wave ultraviolet light (UVA) treatment.
Since your doctor opted for steroid injections, yes, he’ll have to repeat them to get the desired effect. Take care!