Autoimmune Disorders Community
General health

General health

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and am experiencing thick white mucus in throat and feeling of throat has something stuck in it. My ear neck and chest on the left side feel sore at times throughout the day. Had a barium swollow test and they said everything goes down ok thyroid is enlarged I even have shortness of breath at times please help me figure this out also my side of throat is sore and sometimes when I lie down it feels like I am being choked off
Hi!
The symptoms could be due to enlarged thyroid gland and you may need surgery for this. Something stuck in the throat can be due to post nasal drip, if you have recurrent cold and sinusitis. It can also be gastric reflux due to weak esophageal sphincter or due to hiatal hernia (however, this can be caught on barium meal to some extent). It can also be an allergic reaction to something you eat.
If all common causes of a feeling of something stuck in the throat or a foreign body sensation in the throat has been ruled out (post nasal drip, gastric reflux, allergy by a skin test or RAST panel, food allergy), then rare causes will have to be looked into. One is upper esophageal dysmotility—can be known by endoscopy and barium meal. Projecting superior cornu of the thyroid cartilage is another possibility and surgically trimming it can help. Esophageal candidiasis or fungal infection, gonococcal pharyngits, chemical burn of esophagus due to acid, and cancer of the esophagus are some other causes. Another possibility is irritation of the anterior fibers of C2-3 spinal nerves with spasm of the muscles attached to hyoid bone. This usually happens due to injury or postural problems causing curving of lower cervical spine.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!