Autoimmune Disorders Community
Lasik eye surgery side effects

Lasik eye surgery side effects

I had lasik eye surgery 4 months ago and did not know at the time I had sjogrens syndrome (I do now).  I have had several complications (dry eyes, halos, corneal scarring, star bursts that are now permanent, wrinkled flap, and regression) that I wasn't supposed to get (slim to minimal odds).  Could the syndrome cause some of these side effects as they say my eyes are not healing as they're supposed to?
Thank you
Also post this on the Eye Care forum. A doctor always replies.
Most likely it is related to the Sjogrens.I have read on the Sjogrensworld board of people who did not do well after this surgery because of SJS.It is not recommended for sjoggies and often goes about the way you are describing.

My best advice(I am a SLE w a Sjogrens overlap diagnosis patient)is to try to find an Opthamologist locally who has had or DOES have sjogrens patients as it will make things alot easier when dealing with the symptoms/issues etc that come with the illness.Its not just "dry eye" although that is enough to make you nutty when it flares up as every blink as the day goes on feels like pieces of your eye fall off.

And find a GOOD rheumy if you do not have one allready as this will require monitoring as the illness carries almost the same issues as Lupus but just also adds in moisture depletion in all areas possible-this is not to say all will be affected usually people seem to have one worse than the others(mine is eye also-mouth is dry but not enough that I would use Salagen or Evoxac)also make your dentist aware that you have it as it will cause issue with the teeth.Hopefully you can find one familiar with SJS or that has treated it as it makes it easier-if not you have to educate them-LITERALLY.

Good luck and I hope the eyes improve soon I know how irritating it is as I am currently 3 1/2 weeks into steroid eye drop treatment for corneal pitting and dryness issues and its about drove me mad.I can only imagine what you are going thru and I send good vibes and quick healing thoughts your way.
Thank you for your kind words and advice.  Both meant a lot to me.  It has been a road for sure and one that is not over yet.  I have looked into the sjogrens world website as I didn't know it was there and found some others like myself.  Who knew.
Thanks again,
Fiddle
Much welcome hope the site is helpful to you.It has been to me.

Again wishing you answers and relief.Its a real journey learning about SJS as most have never heard of it and its very common that ALOT of drs still think its "just dry eyes" and unfortunately its not.

Happy valentines Day