PLAQUENIL = MENTAL PROBLEMS???
Okay, so I have been taking Plaquenil since May 1st.  So that's what, 25 days?  Ever since the beginning of this week, I have been up and down, mad and happy, energetic and out of it.  I have been moody, evil, irritable.  Then laughing, fun, and so forth.  Back story:  In 2008 I suffered from postpartum psychosis and panis disorder after having my son, then came the horrible depresion.  I am still on meds (Prozac, Clonozapam). I have been taken off of two others some time ago by my Psych because I am improving.  Now, on Plaquenil and I am going crazy.  AND I AM STILL IN PAIN.  I know plaquenil takes some time to kick in, so I'm okay with that.  I mean I had the pain all this time, it can only get better..... SO I THOUGHT.  Now I am going out of my mind?  Is anyone else hearing something familiar.  I take Plaq for SLE.  I will STOP immediately if this is causing mental issues.  I rather be in pain, then ever, ever, ever go through a mental illness again.  I know I need to talk to my rheumy, but It's Friday at 7pm and Monday is Memorial Day, then she's off until mid June, so...... I either talk to one of her colleagues on Tuesday or go to me General Doc.  In the meantime, I wondered if anyone else has had mental issues?  I mean I can literally feel my mood changing for absolutely no reason......  I can't believe this.....
Hi!
Yes, Plaquenil can cause mood changes, irritability and psychosis and can worsen the existing psychosis. So yes, changing the drug may help. However, please do not change or stop the medication on your own. You need to consult a  doctor and slowly be weaned off it and on to anew drug for your lupus. Take care!