Autoimmune Disorders Community
Raynaud's and one very swollen toe

Raynaud's and one very swollen toe

I was told almost twenty years that I have Raynaud's... usually didn't bother me too bad until February.  I am now 48 and the problem I have now is the fourth toe on my left foot swells to twice the size, is incredibly painful and the swelling doesn't really go down much anymore.  I went to the podiatrist the other day for pain in my right ankle ( I had a plate and six screws put in the ankle after breaking it last year) and had him look at my toe... he is referring me to a rheumatologist as he says raynauds usually affects all of the toes, not just one and that the toe should not be this swollen... any comments or advice would be appreciated.. Dawn
I have Raynaud's and am female and also have gout.  It went undiagnosed for many years as it is always thought it happens in men and it is always the big toe.  I was told by the diagnosing doctor that it happens in women too and often affects the mid foot area and mid hand areas.  I am not a diagnostician but I would say it would be worth having your uric acid level checked.  If it is elevated and your doctor agrees then a trial of something like allopuronol might be in order.  It gave me incredible relief in a fairly short time.  The doctor said it would take three weeks and in one I was feeling the relief.

I might also mention I knew nothing about gout.  I found out their are triggers and one of the most potent ones are root vegetables for many people.  For me it was beets.  Go figure.  I am a real vegetable lover but I gave those up once I realized they immediately cause problems for me.

The trip to a rheumatologist is an excellent idea.  I hope they can help you find the answer and relief.  I might add that I also have neuropathy now but that is they think from autoimmune thyroid.  I am just trying to get all sorted out.  I have several problems affecting my feet and they all cause different types of pain.  It can be confusing at times.    

Good luck with this!  Marie
i have raynauds too, from MCTD. just have to keep those feet and hands warms with gloves and good socks year round. i have found wearing thick socks to bed at night helps some.