Autoimmune Disorders Community
Trying to connect the dots

Trying to connect the dots

I have had hypothyroid symptoms for 2 years, tests kept coming back "normal".  3 months ago my TSH levels indicate I indeed have hypothyroidism.  I started Armour and am following up with a new doctor (we just moved) in a couple of weeks.
So I have been trying to piece together things and I keep coming across the reference "autoimmune disorders".  I am trying to connect the dots and figure out if I would fall in this category.  Obviously I will talk to my doctor in a couple of weeks, but wanted some understanding as to what I am talking about.
Would previous illnesses put me at risk of having an autoimmune disorder?  I've had my tonsils and uvula removed (we think the doctor screwed up during tonsillectomy and accidentally had to remove uvula), chicken pox, Epstein Barr Virus (knocked me out of a semester in college...was undiagnosed at the time, I was told I was a "hysterical female" and was healthy because I was not anemic, years later blood work revealed extremely elevated EBV related to previous infection), I had shingles at 30 (my entire right arm was affected), I am prone to cold sores, cavities, got stye's in my eyes all the time as a kid, and have developed exercise induced asthma as well as whenever I get a cold, I've also been involved in a few car accidents which resulted in severe whiplash (one left hairline fracture in my neck) and I am in constant pain...my neck and shoulder muscles are in constant spasm.
So where do I go from here?  Do these things have a way of catching up with you after several years?  I'm tired of being tired all the time, I have no idea what a day without soreness and pain would feel like and I'm tired of not recognizing my body anymore (30 lb weight gain).

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!  BTW...I am a 44 year old female who used to run marathons but can barely make it through daily activities anymore without wanting to crawl back under the covers.  
Hi!
I am sorry to hear what all you have been going through. Recurrent EBV or lingering EBV infection can cause extreme fatigue. However, this is not likely to trigger an autoimmune reaction. Low thyroid and asthma can be autoimmune diseases. At your age the fatigue can also be due to pre-menopausal hormone changes. So, you need to get this aspect investigated as well. Generally hormone replacement therapy helps get back the vigour.
Other than this, since you had recurrent styes, you must rule out the possibility of diabetes. Hope this helps. Take care!
Thank you for your reply.  I should clarify that I no longer get recurring styes, that was when I was younger, but I do get cold sores and occasionally the breakout is right under my eye lid.  I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance as well.  I also had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago after being told repeatedly that my pain was not gallbladder related because I didn't fit the profile (not overweight at the time, etc).  After a very severe attack they found my gallbladder was filled with stones to the point it was bulging out.  I am tired of being tired, I want my energy back, my brain back (constantly in a brain fog), stop hurting...I want to be able to run again.  Sigh.
In addition to the viruses listed above by Dr. Mathur as well as the chicken pox, you might look into chronic bacterial infections like Chlamydia pneumoniae and Mycoplasma species.  These can cause thyroid problems and asthma, systemic pain and other signs and symptoms.  Take a look at the other possible signs and symptoms on our website, www.immed.org, and if you check your condition closely you may have other S/S as well.
Prof. Nicolson
Thanks Dr Nicolson for your input. It helped connect the dots! Regards Kokil