autoimmune and HSV1
Is there any connection between HSV 1 and auto immune disease? I've been diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis and some sort of connective tissue disease, which has really impaired my kidneys quickly regardless of drug therapy,also most likely sjogrens because of severe dry eyes and mouth. But I've had HSV 1 since I was a child and many cases of shingles as an adult. I'm starting to notice when I feal HSV coming on I get back pain and my urine becomes foamy which I'm thinking could be kidney inflammation. I'm wondering if there's any connection beside the steroids making me compromised and everything hitting me at once when my resistance is down. Sadly, my dr.s just fill my scripts and send me on my way, never answering my questions.
Hi!
Actually you are right in assuming that there may be some connection between HSV 1 and auto immune disease. It is true that many viral infections including HSV1 trigger a T-Cell dependent autoimmune response. So, if your kidneys are affected by his autoimmune response, any flare in HSV1 numbers and infection can further affect the kidneys. Therefore it is very important to keep HSV1 infection under control and may be along with steroids opt for some antiviral therapy. Please discuss with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
.Thanks! That makes so much sense. I'm glad to see that I can take some control over the health of my kidneys.
My opthamologist had prescribed valacyclovir for an eye lesion and I had sometimes taken it again when I felt HSV come on and it had stopped them. I'll speak to my Dr.s about possiblly adding it to my regular meds