Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
Palindromic Rheumatism

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

Palindromic Rheumatism

I was diagnosed with PR 6 months ago and was diagnosed quickly which makes me second guess it. I've heard PR usually takes awhile to diagonse, but my question is the symptoms I have to not seem to match those of others....I don't have redness during flare ups and very mild swelling. I have a lot of tingling in my hands and feet and it comes it waves and when it happens it hits both hands and feet at the same time.  I get so stiff I cannot move and certain ways I move or breathe cause I very sharp stabbing pain in or around my rib cage or spine. I cannot turn my head due to the stiffness. I was put on 20mg daily of Pred. and am now down to 2mg and I feel a flare up coming it always starts as jaw pain and serious heartburn/acid reflux (keep in mind I never get heartburn, only time was when i was pregnant and durning a flare up) also I'm very fatigued no matter how much sleep I get. I also get this weird "twinge" in the back of my neck maybe the top of my spine (not sure where my spine starts) it only happens when I move a certain way and usually when I stretch my arms above me in front of me too far.  I know you cannot diagnose but just curious if this sounds like symptoms of PR that I can' t find anywhere else. I tell my family doc these things and he kinda looks at me like I'm nuts (but I know I'm not). I thought he would've sent me to  a  rheumy doc by now but he says we have it under control.

Thankd in advance!
Shannon
I am curious to know how Rheumatoid Arthritis dx was eliminated?  In over one-half RA but not apparently in OA, chronic synovial bacterial infections have been identified, and some rheumatologists treat these infections long-term with  good outcomes.
I'll be honest with you, when I went to doc I was in a lot of pain, but I do remember him saying I had no major swelling or redness that is usually associated with RA and he also told me my blood work didn't show RA. He ruled that out and gave me the PR dx. Also six months prior to my "stiffness" flare I had been really sick with internal organ pain and red rash all over my thighs and face almost like a sunburn and it was itchy and I was told my liver enzymes were elevated and I had a ultrasound a week later by then I felt fine and my ultrasound looked normal. I'm starting to think they are related. My doc didn't think so but I've never been sick like that in my entire life and have always been otherwise healthy. They never did figure out what was wrong with me at that time. I also have been having issues with my memory and I'm only 28 and I have dizzy spells maybe that is the Prednisone causing that????
It sounds like you have one or more chronic infections (bacterial, viral) that could be causing the problems.  A list of the most likely possible infections appears on our website immed.org under Clinical Testing.