Autoimmune Disorders Expert Forum
neurological exam result unclear

Welcome to the Autoimmune Disorders forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Dr. Garth Nicolson. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Autoimmune Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Alzheimer’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Gulf War Syndrome, Lupus, Lyme Disease, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis

Please note, Dr. Nicolson is a part-time expert at MedHelp, so this forum will only be open to new questions during pre-arranged dates.

neurological exam result unclear

The report stated that my neurological exam was "grossly intact". I cannot find what this means. Any ideas? Also one of his findings was "chronic respiratory failure". Not exactly sure what this means but it does not sound good. Please help. I have MS which was diagnosed in the mid-90's.
I am not sure what your neurologist is telling you.  It could be that your lung tissue is collapsing in the chest X-rays (pneumothorax?) or is filling with fluid. In either case, this is not good and needs to be immediately addressed.
I forgot to ask about the chest x-ray. It showed flattening of the hemidiaphragms.? I have never heard of hemidiaphragms. Can you also respond to this?