Baby Dust Buddies - TTC and Pregnancy after a Loss User Group
Pregnant and strep B infection
About This Group:

Our TTC and Pregnancy after a Loss Group is a Public Group for women to share their conception journeys after a miscarriage. From starting over after a loss; surviving the two week wait; dealing with a BFN; celebrating the coveted BFP and making it through nine months of worry. Baby dust is sprinkled joyfully and liberally all around.

Founded by bam1014 on September 25, 2009
475 members

Pregnant and strep B infection

Hi ladies, So I just found out I am seven weeks pregnant we also saw heartbeat. I am happy but  scared and nervous same time. This will be my third pregnancy, I dont have any child yet. I have had two early  m/c (July 10 and Oct 10) both time we didn't see heartbeat.after several tests they found I have MTHFR mutation ( heterozygous ) so I am on folgard/ prenatal and also on Lovenox shots daily ( 40 mg). This time we want to be excited but probably will take some more time, if evrything goes well. However today when I called my OB/GYN office to know the results from the several samples they took during my visit ( last Monday) nurse told me I have Strep B infection and asked me to take medicine ( probably they will prescribe me Penicillin antibiotics). I am obviously upset and stressed about all these and why all these happening to me and if i  can have a stress less pregnancy.I have some questions for you my friends please answer.
1. Have any of you had similar infection/ or have heard about this?
2. is taking  antibiotics this early be harmful to developing baby?
3. Or I just dont take anything and wait for later pregnancy?

Please pray for me and for my baby. I really need this.
My story is very similar to yours - I had 2 m/c in 2008, one in July and another one in October. I found out I was pg again on Valentine's day 2009 and like you, I also tested positive for Strep B. My midwife told me that there was nothing to worry about, they'd give me antibiotics as soon as I'm in labour. When I went into labour, they gave me intravenous antibiotics every four hours until the baby was born and she is now 16 months old. I was told that the Strep B bacteria comes and goes so antibiotics can get rid of it at that time but it is likely to come back again.
Hope that helped.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, thats what I read generally Dr dont treat this infection so early. Well, my doctor gave me antibiotics and i took that. I will be tested again. i hope I dont get this infection again.
I know if you test positive to group b strep, you probably always will. It can be dangerous for some, but antibiotics don't really help. I would make sure you wear cotton undies and wipe front to back. One thing that can help is drinking lots of cranberry juice. If you have a homeopathic doctor near you, you can also go to them for alternative methods of treatment- not that they will be 100%.

Hang in there and keep your head up!
zara2010, and xx_Louise_xx commented on zara2010's status
1 min ago
zara2010 commented on rbohl01's status
2 mins ago
xx_Louise_xx 15 weeks today! Been feelin... Comment