Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
MRI results

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

MRI results

A family member (complaining of middle back pain) has received the following MRI results:  

"an area of T2 hyperintensity is seen related to the left hemi aspect of the T4 vertebral body which has corresponding T1 signal intensity.  no visible abnormalities of the cord or conus.  multi-level disc space dessication (desiccation) identified.  scattered hemangiomata. T6-T7 disc bulge.  Impression: T4 vertebral bodies - make note of T2 and low T1 intensity in pedicle.  atypical hemangiomas".

I would like to know your thoughts on this.  is this strongly suggestive of mets or could this be a benign condition?

thanks.
It this is described as an atypical hemangioma then futhur tests and follow up may be necessary. A spine evaluation and a bone scan may be helpful.

Dr Prem Pillay
Neurosurgeon
Director of Neuro and Spine Services
Neuro Spine and Pain Center
Thank you for your reply Dr. Pillay.
for 9 years I have steadily been getting worse with severe pack pain, numbness in hands/arms.feet and pain in legs and spasms.
last year I had a MRI, it revealed cervical spondylosis, lumber spondylosis, disc bulge into the thecal sac, wear and tear - early signs, slight spinal misalignment, bulges at sacrum and lumber joints and also at also at cervical. I am living on valium and oxycontin at the moment, but finding the pain exhausting somedays, and i am unable to enjoy life as i did - cutting hedges, gardening, shopiing, cycling, back packing - all the things i love to do cause me agony. recently i was in hospital for 3 weeks after my entire back, arms and rib cage went into spasm and I was unable to move.
it is causing me to be very depressed and I feel constantly exhausted. even changinf the bedding causes me pain in my upper back and rib cage.
regards

jacky barfoot - England