Back & Neck Pain Expert Forum
should i have surgery

Questions in the Back & Neck Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts in their field. Topics covered include herniated disc, pinched nerves, sciatica, degenerative spine disease, spinal stenosis, spine trauma and fractures, and pine tumors.

should i have surgery

hi i need some advice on a surgery i have scheduled next week it is for a fusion of c56 or acdf  for degenerative disk disease and protruding disk i  have already had c 67 acdf 2 years ago so they would be extending my fusion up one level i have had severe pain and have tried almost everything. Doc thinks it could help at least 75% of my pain but ever since i scheduled the surgery overwhelming fear and panic attacks have taken over and  my neck suddenly doesn't hurt that bad. Honestly i don't know what to do!!! i would love your advice also my lower back has a lot of issues as well and has been very painful this month so its hard to focus on my neck i take pain management meds and have had regular epidurals i am young and a single parent i just want to stay alive and healthy for my kids? main thing do you think the risks of surgery outweigh the benefit and will it help me?
Tags: surgery
You may want to look at artificial disc replacement instead of fusion. Clinical trials have shown that it is superior to fusion in selected patients. If you fit the profile it may be the better option for you. You can check out the animations on the procedure at www.spine-neuro.org

Dr Prem Pillay
Director of Spine and Pain Services
Neuro Spine and Pain Center
Singapore
What is the severity of your pain on a scale of 0-10 (10 being severe) ?
Does your pain radiate to your arm or upper back?
I have the same problem, almost exactly. I refused surgery and the epidurals. I had one (epi) and it wasn't for me. The problem with the surgeries is that once they start, they don't seem to stop. I fell on my chin on concrete and my spine - from neck to hip was displaced. I have dealt with chronic neck and back pain since 2001. But I found out that it would take a surgury for EACH correction, and since the damage is degenerative, I could have surgeries until I go home to glory. That is not something I felt II could withstand, especially since I am a single parent with young(ish) children. I recently found out through an updated MRI that I am developing a Taler Dome Lesion in my shoulder from the fall, and that one is nasty. I have decided that for now, vitamins, supplements, narcotics and lot's of prayer is better thatn getting cut.
This might not be the answer for you, but I wanted to share. Once they start cutting, they will continue to, because one surgery cannot repair all the damage, as you seem to know, seeing that you have had surgery once already.
Thanks,
Shelly