Back & Neck Community
Bulging Disc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Bulging Disc

This is Nishant Shah from India. Even I have developed a mild bulge in my L4-L5 and L5-S1 and it compresses my Sciatic nerves.

I am grateful, that in my case it got detected very early, as I had been taking pain killers, but the pain my right leg was persistent. So immediately thought of visiting a orthopedic and now its detected that mild bulge is compressing my sciatic nerves

Doctor has recommended me to do some stretching exercises and strengthen my core muscles of back and abdomen. And Even I have started practicing few of the postures of yoga and mediation and walking for half an hour every day. All these things are helping me to alleviate pain

But some days there is no pain in my legs or back, but some days my calf muscles get severe cramps or some days there are nerve convulsions in both my legs.... But the frequency of cramps and nerve convulsions are more in one week , while in second week it reduces

Can anyone guide me , as I in the state of recovering or anyone is going through the same type of problems

Regards

Nishant Shah
Hi Nishant!
I am glad that physiotherapy and yoga is helping you. Sometimes, the cramps can be due to bad posture, dehydration, extreme heat, or over exercising. So try and rule out these possibilities one by one. If the cramps come only on walking, then deep vein thrombosis needs to be ruled out. The cramps can be due to nerve compression. This may improve with manual traction. Please discuss with your treating doctor.
Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

Thanks a ton Doctor

According to my doctor, he s quite sure that i am recovering from my bulging disc as I am able to do forward and backward bends without any pain or stretch in my legs

But the irregular cramps/ convulsions are concern even for my doctor. he has asked me to conduct uric acid , vitamin b12 and vitamin d3 test and then make some judgement

But is there anyway I can mail you my report of MRI.. Can you share your email id

Thanks a ton once again
Hi doc,

My blood reports are negative for blood sugar, RA and uric acid........ Though my lymphocytes are pretty high... i dont know the reason for this

And secondly i am deficient in Vitamin D while Vitamin B 12 levels are also normal

All these nerve tingling and abrupt cramps  can be because of low levels of  vitamin D

Thanks & regards

Nishant